NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Totally stuck on verification error. content mismatch.

September 26, 2010
by beason68

Anyone ?? Tried new Batt,, no help,,,,?????

September 27, 2010
by Ralphxyz

beason68, what is your problem? We will gladly help you but:

"Totally stuck on verification error content mismatch Anyone?? Tried new Batt,,no help,,,,?????"

Is absolutely meaning less. It appears you tried to fix a verification error with a new battery.

Please fill in the missing details, like what exactly is your problem?

The thing I am trying to teach myself when I have "problems" is to first slow down, one step at a time will usually lead to a solution much quicker then random attempts like replacing the battery for a verification error.

Ralph

Ralph

September 27, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi beason68,

Ralph is absolutely right. There are tons of people here very willing to help, but we need more information before we can get you on the right track. If you include a screenshot of the command line error, and a good close up picture of your set up it will really help us help you debug they issue.

Humberto

September 28, 2010
by beason68

c:UsersleeDesktopCodeCodeinitialload>make avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P com5 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = "FDL v02"; type = S Software Version = 0.2; No Hardware Version given. Programmer supports auto addr increment. Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices: Device code: 0x35

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9406 avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed

To disable this feature, specify the -D option.

avrdude: current erase-rewrite cycle count is -256 (if being tracked) avrdude: erasing chip avrdude: reading input file "initialload.hex" avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: writing flash (7808 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.98s

avrdude: 7808 bytes of flash written avrdude: verifying flash memory against initialload.hex: avrdude: load data flash data from input file initialload.hex: avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: input file initialload.hex contains 7808 bytes avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.98s

avrdude: verifying ... avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000 0x0c != 0x00 avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done. Thank you.

make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

c:UsersleeDesktopCodeCodeinitialload

Sorry. Here is what I am seeing. I do need to slow down,, and thanks !! I will try to get a pic of my board on here too.

September 29, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi beason68,

Just out of curiosity, have you tried switching the chip to run mode and seeing if your new program made it on the chip. It seems like it is making it through the write phase and just failing on the verification step. Is this error consistent at that point in the process?

If you post up those pictures, it might help us find something off in your wiring.

Humberto

October 01, 2010
by beason68

Yes the error is consistent. I tried to run the program as you suggested but I only got the Congrats program. So it isnt erasing or writing like it says. Sound logical?? I will go over the wires with a fine tooth comb soon. Cant seem to get a good pic with a crappy dig/ camera. Thank you all for the help. Will try to get pics and also go over my wiring.

October 01, 2010
by beason68

Sorry, Clarification. I still get the Congrats-nerdkits hardware is ok.

October 02, 2010
by Ralphxyz

If you are getting the "Congratulations" then congratulations, now the next step, are you getting the two black bars when you switch to programing mode? If so what happens when you run make?

Ralph

October 02, 2010
by beason68

I should be getting the Congrats,, your nerdkit is alive. But not getting that. Just getting the Congrats,, you hardware is ok.. It is not writing when I do makefile...

October 04, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi beason68,

You do have yourself a strange one here. If you can please post a good close up picture of your circuit, it would might help us see something strange that is going on. Have you tried using a different USB port on your computer. Sometimes using USB hubs or certain USB ports can behave strangely.

One thing I would also try is uninstalling the cable driver and installing this one particularly if you are on Windows 7. Let us know what you find.

Humberto

October 24, 2010
by Angrylilgardengnome

Hi all, I have the exact same problem. I tried uninstalling the cable driver and installing the one from the link. The problem is my Nerdkit was working fine?! The last program I loaded was the temp sensor and it remains and works fine. It will not verify anymore programs, completely lost. Any Ideas?

October 24, 2010
by Rick_S

By "exact same problem", are you saying that you are running windows 7, avrdude is connecting, writing, and reading then reporting a verification error, and when you check, the code is not on the chip?

Could you snap a photo of your setup and post it. Often it helps more than you'd realize.

If you don't have the scenario above, please give better details, and we'll do the best we can to help out.

Rick

October 24, 2010
by Angrylilgardengnome

Hi Rick, I am running windows vista. Everything else is correct. Problem is everything was working fine. 1 Alt Text Heres the pic, Hope its not 2 messy. Kind Regards

October 24, 2010
by Rick_S

What are you using to power your system?

October 24, 2010
by Angrylilgardengnome

Im using the parts from the LED display and a variable power supply.

October 24, 2010
by Ralphxyz

When in doubt reboot!! I even have to do that on my mac when things that worked don't any longer.

Are you still able to run the tempsensor project but not able to program a new project?

Ralph

October 24, 2010
by Rick_S

Have you checked the voltage to your chip? If you have one, try putting an electrolytic capacitor (10uf - 100uf) accross your power and ground near the regulator. Sometimes poor supply power can cause stray signals that interfere with normal chip operations. The capacitor can help clean that up.

Rick

October 24, 2010
by Angrylilgardengnome

Hi all, I have rebooted my computer, the cable driver etc to no avail. I have added the 100uF cap and still receive the same error. Heres a pic. Alt Text

Im starting to think this is the work of gremlins.

October 24, 2010
by Angrylilgardengnome

Hi Ralph, Yes I am still able to run the Temp sensor project. It will not verify and hence wont load anymore programs to the chip. The AVRDUDE just goes through the motions then at the very end just wont verify. Kind Regards

October 24, 2010
by Ralphxyz

I have seen this but cannot remember the exact remedy. Try removing the mcu from the breadboard and then replacing it and powering up and trying again.

What are you using for output, I do not see LCD wiring? Or did you just clean the breadboard up for the picture?

Ralph

October 24, 2010
by Angrylilgardengnome

Hi Ralph, The LCD wiring is just longer so I can move the screen around to suit. I tried removing the MCU but same verification error.

October 25, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Antrylilgardengnome,

With the older version of the USB-Ser cable that you have the blue USB-Ser converter can be a little finicky sometimes. If you by any chance have another USB-Ser converter hanging around try using it and see if it works, that will at least isolate the issue. If you are using the black USB extender that came with that cable try taking it out of the loop and connecting the blue USB-Ser adapter directly to your computer. Let us know if any of this does the trick.

Humberto

November 01, 2010
by Angrylilgardengnome

Hi hevans, I have the old blue one. I havnt been able to find a replacement.

November 01, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Angrylilgardengnome,

There is a test you can try to see if we can isolate the problem to the programming cable.

Go to the Servo Squireter tutorial http://www.nerdkits.com/videos/servosquirter/, and go down to the Serial Communications section. Follow the directions to communicate with the NerdKit using Putty, but instead of connecting the yellow and green wires of the serial cable to the MCU connect them to the same empty row of the breadboard. Since the yellow and green, send and receive wires are hooked up together, everything you type on Putty should be echoed back to you on the screen. Try this with the yellow and green wires connected together and without to see the difference.

Remember to try this with the blue USB-Ser converter connected directly to your computer without the black extender cable so you can be sure that is not the issue.

Humberto

November 02, 2010
by Angrylilgardengnome

Hi Humberto, I removed the usb extender and connected the blue adapter to the usb port. I then opened putty and connected the green and yellow wires as per instruction. The keys typed are then displayed to the screen. Kind Regards

November 02, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Angrylilgardengnome,

Did you try the echo test with the black extension cable, to see if the characters stop appearing? Give programming the chip a try without the extender cable (blue USB-Ser converter connected directly to the computer), I have a feeling that might solve the issue.

Humberto

November 02, 2010
by Angrylilgardengnome

Hi Humberto,

I tried the echo test with extension cable and it worked fine. I tried programming the chip with and without the programming extension cable and the same error appeared both times. Damn dirty gremlins. The kit was working fine and all of a sudden this error appeared. I was controlling servos and other projects. The last was the temp sensor project. The chip still runs the temp sensor project fine.

Angrylilgardengnome

November 04, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Angrylilgardengnome,

The fact that it works fine on the echo test tells me your cable is probably ok. Have you tried a new battery? Or even disconnecting any peripheral circuits you have that might be dragging down the power supply while programming.

Humberto

November 04, 2010
by Angrylilgardengnome

Hi Humberto,

I have stripped the board back to the basic initial setup. I am running a variable power supply using the LED ARRAY kit component and instructions.

Angrylilgardengnome

November 07, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Angrylilgardengnome,

At this point I think there are two things that could be the problem. It is possible that you damaged the UART port on your chip somehow, you said it is still running the temperature sensor program, have you tried running it and opening up Putty on your computer to read the values? The other possibility is that your bootloader got corrupted somehow. If you have a hardware parallel port you can try to reflash the bootloader onto the chip. The other possiblity of course is that your cable is just malfunctioning intermittently and causing the program flash to fail, but allowing the other tests to pass. This is definitely a strange one.

Humberto

November 18, 2010
by Angrylilgardengnome

Hi Humberto,

I removed the atmega 168 and replaced it with the atmega 328. I followed the guide and my nerdkit is up and running again. It seems the atmega 168 was the problem. I will try and reflash the bootloader onto it an see if it fixes the problem. I have no idea how but im sure I will figure it out using the forums etc.

Regards

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that 20 LEDs can be controlled from 11 microcontroller pins, to make a twinkling heart outline? Learn more...