NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Problem with programming the MCU. LED array test

August 30, 2010
by wearetherowboats

Hi again, more beginner problems. When I try to run the make file for the led array test, it doesn't seem to load correctly at all. I'm using a Mac. Terminal just stops at this line;

avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P /dev/cu.PL2303-00001004 -U flash:w:ledarray.hex:a

and doesn't do anything else.

August 30, 2010
by wearetherowboats

Also, I may have somehow fried my chip. Just touched it and it's really hot. Argh.

August 31, 2010
by Ralphxyz

Once you cool your chip down reboot and rewire. Sometimes it is best to strip ALL of your wiring and start over from scratch.

I get the hung avrdude whenever I am running Screen in Terminal and try to interrupt/stop it. Just closing Terminal apparently does not terminate the process so subsequent tries at compiling hang. To stop Screen use Ctrl-a Ctrl-\ (ha it didn't get me this time).

I cannot remember just getting this error in Terminal from running make but a reboot solves it.

Sometimes just unplugging the USB will free you when you hang up. I have a switch on the yellow wire that I flip every time I run make. The yellow wire has enough voltage (on/from my Mac mini) to hold the MCU in a zombie state and has to be interrupted before doing a subsequent make.

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that negative numbers are represented in two's complement notation in binary? Learn more...