NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » First Project

July 23, 2010
by TexanBackpacker

So I got my Nerdkit about three days ago and now I have completed my first project!

On the first day I went through the tutorials in the manual so I can get a good understanding on the kit. So on the second day I figured that I would combine what I learned from all of the tutorials into one giant project.

Temperature Warning System (yea it sounds pretty official) What it does is read the temperature and display it on the LCD. If the temperature is below 80 degrees a green LED flashes, If the temperature is between 80 and 89.99 a yellow LED flashes And of course if it is above 90 a red LED flashes and the piezoelectric buzzer makes a noise (figured out how to do this with the make music tutorial)

This project was pretty easy. All I really had to do was study the code from the other projects, copy, paste, and edit some code. (Computer Science does pay off even though we learned Java)

Here is the video (its boring, but short) Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrs_3emBAD8

July 24, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi TexanBackpacker,

Very awesome. It was actually a project similar to this one that started NerdKits back in 2007. We had a failing freezer and the ice cream was melting! So we used a microcontroller and a temperature sensor to warn when the freezer was too hot and turn the compressor on and off. Eventually enough people were interested in how it was done that we decided it would be neat to try start a company that helped people learn. Keep up the great work!

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that negative numbers are represented in two's complement notation in binary? Learn more...