NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Content mismatch - verification error

July 13, 2010
by pjack

my MC worked fine but now I get the following error when I try compiling: avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000 0x0c != 0x00 avrdude: verification error, content mismatch ... error 1.
I tried replacing the batteries, runing from a wall adapter and compiling some simple code. Problem is still there. I dont know how to fix this.

July 13, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi pjack,

This is a strange one. I don't recall ever seeing this error on a healthy chip. Does it go through entire read and write cycle before this error comes up? Are you trying all this on the original ATmega168 that came with your NerdKit? Do you remember doing anything that might have harmed your chip like connecting the power rails backwards, or anything that made a spark?

Humberto

July 14, 2010
by pjack

Hi Humberto,

Yes it does go through the entire read and write cycle and this is the original Nerdkit. Of course I went to examine all the wires afterwards and found that the black and red wires of the usb cable were not in place. That is the black wire was connected to nothing and the red wire was connected to the red rail. The mistake didnt seem obvious at first glance, because it didnt look like the cables were in reverse, it was only after going through the guide again that i found it. I must have misplaced them when i changed from using the usb power back to battery. As it all worked fine at the start. So what are my options now? new chip or is it the data cable? I didnt have the nerdkit for long.

July 14, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi pjack,

Did you try putting the wires in the right place, and then attempting to program again. The way you described the kit being wired it should not have damaged anything, but could very easily result in the error you were seeing.

If it is still not working it could mean you damaged either the cable or the MCU, but more likely the MCU (given the error you were getting). Also, if you post a picture of your setup, perhaps there is another small wiring error you are missing, and we can help you spot it.

Humberto

July 15, 2010
by pjack

Hi Humberto

Yes, I tried pretty much everything I could think of to solve this problem and had no success. The error message is always there. Here are some pictures which may or may not make things clearer. If it turns out that the chip is bust, I could buy a new one here in europe, but I would need your help with the bootloader and so on to get it initialised again.

alt image text

alt image text

July 20, 2010
by pjack

I FIXED IT !!!

There was a problem with the microcontroller after all. I bought a cheap isp programmer and a fresh new ATmega168, then I was able to burn the bootloader. It was quite challenging, not having much experience with mcu's and living in Europe made the other threads irrelevant when talking about which programmers to use. Most of the products were only sold in the states and shipping and handling would cost too much. I will post a thread later on how to replace the mcu from a european perspective. The process was simple and cheap.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can turn a $20 digital scale into a live weight sensor using our kit with a few extra parts? Learn more...