NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » LCD blank when I connect analog sensor

May 13, 2010
by banerjen

Hi,

I recently bought a Sharp GP2D120 distance measurement sensor and wanted to use the ADC in the MCU to convert the analog output to a more meaningful distance reading.

Before I go about describing my problem I should mention that I am using the ATMega32 and I am using a 16 * 2 char LCD to display the ADC value. I am using the 8-bit mode of the LCD.

The problem starts when I connect the VCC and GND pins of the sensor to the breadboard. When I connect, the LCD goes blank. I checked the current flowing through the sensor, it was about 28 mA. I am using a wall adapter with specs - 12 V 500 mA DC.

And the minute I remove the connections, the LCD starts to display again. What could be the problem?

Thanks.

Nandan.

May 13, 2010
by banerjen

Hi again,

Sorry. I got the problem. I changed the decoupling capacitor and it started working like a charm.

Thanks.

Nandan.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that essentially all power supplies' voltages drop when current is drawn from them? Learn more...