NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » LCD dead

May 07, 2010
by banerjen

Hi,

I wanted to interface my LCD with the readily available ATMega32. Also, I wanted to use the 8-bit mode, so I went about creating my own LCD.h file.

Today, when I went on to hook up the LCD, it was blank. I was surprised because I was expecting at least black squares. I then checked my contrast resistor. It was fine. I still can't figure out as to why this is happening. Have I managed to burn my LCD? Also, how can I burn my LCD?

Regards, Nandan.

May 07, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Nandan,

While it is possible to to burn out your LCD, it is unlikely to have happened (unless you got the power wires mixed up). Definitely double check the power connections, maybe they are just not in the right place now that you moved everything around. Let us know if you find the issue.

Humberto

May 07, 2010
by banerjen

Hi Humberto,

I double checked the power connections. It seems that I somehow managed to short the contrast port. I might have accidentally touched the contrast wire coming from the LCD to the wrong side of the resistor.

Could that be a reason for my LCD getting bust?

I have already ordered two 16 * 2 LCDs from a local store. Hope that I will be able to make them work properly.

Thanks.

Regards, Nandan.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can turn a $20 digital scale into a live weight sensor using our kit with a few extra parts? Learn more...