NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Starting all over again...

April 14, 2010
by mongo

Well... Fate finally hit and I lost my XP laptop that I was using. Had to buy a new one. this one has W7 Home Premium and I am not having any luck getting things back in operation. I suppose I could just reinstall XP over the system but I don't really want to go through all of that brain damage too.

So, What do I need to know to get the programming and drivers to talk to the computer?

Fortunately, I was able to save the HDD from the old machine and all of the original files are intact so I have that much going for me.

Thanx, Mongo

April 15, 2010
by Rick_S

I had no problems whatsoever with Win7 Pro. However, I made sure to get 32 bit. Is your laptop the 32 or 64 bit flavor? I know a lot I see advertised come with 64 bit. If it's the 64 bit variety make sure to get 64 bit drivers. I know I've seen Humberto link some Win7 drivers in some other posts but I'm not sure if they're 32 or 64 bit.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Rick

April 15, 2010
by mongo

Well... This one is strictly 64 bit W7. I'll have to do some driver raiding soon.

Thanx.

April 17, 2010
by treymd

two solutions if you need to run older/incompatible software in win7_64 is XP mode (free) and VirtualBox (Free as well) I use VMWare myself, which is yet another virtualization hypervisor to run 32 bit XP on top of windows 7. It comes in handy when you have compatibility issues.

April 17, 2010
by mongo

I will certainly look into these solutions!

I did get the programming edotor to work and found a driver that works on the USB adapter. Haven't tried to do anything yet but will be in a day or two.

meanwhile, there are A few things that the emulators may also help in dealing with the change. Specifically, the remote control program I use to edit my website. (but that's a different story)

Thanx guys, for helping here.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that the microcontroller's crystal oscillator can be used to keep accurate time? Learn more...