NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Customer Testimonials » love the kit but question

April 11, 2010
by cinta51

I have a great project in mind, I can figure out the electronics part I think but the programming is where I was struggling. I picked up a book at barnes & noble called C++ without fear and looks great. my question is I know you use c code when programming but is C++ gonna work with the nerd kit or is it something diffrent?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/C-Without-Fear/Brian-Overland/e/9780321246950/?itm=1&USRI=c+++without+fear

thanks

April 12, 2010
by Rick_S

To my understanding, C++ adds to the basic C platform. If the book is easy for you to follow, it will be of benefit as long as you understand some of what you read will not pertain because of the additions C++ has.

I'm no big C programmer either... I just started last fall. If you have any other programming background, I'd suggest studying the sample code files until you understand what each line is doing. Then make small changes and see what happens. After a while, you'll find yourself leaps and bounds ahead of where you thought you could be.

Good luck,

Rick

April 12, 2010
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi cinta51,

RickS is correct, in that C++ is a superset of C. If you stick to the pure-C concepts, which is just about anything except object oriented programming, you'll be OK.

I haven't tried it myself, but the package for avr-gcc does includes a C++ compiler. Take a look at this FAQ entry about C++. Let us know if that helps!

Mike

April 12, 2010
by cinta51

wow, the help on here is great, thankyou very much for the answers. U wull work with a few things and see how it goes.

April 17, 2010
by treymd

C/C++ are so darn similar that once you learn one, you can pretty much do the other. This applies to other languages as well. Java, C# and a plethora of other languages were inspired and or based on C.

One benefit that C++ will eventually give you over C is that you can put your proven code inside containers called classes, and reuse tham in new projects easily. Sure, you can copy and paste into C but the C++ classes are a bit more elegant.

But again, once you have learned one you can easily hop around to the others.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can connect to certain car computers via the OBD-II port with a microcontroller? Learn more...