NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » C compiler

February 03, 2010
by winterwolf

hey guys

does anyone know the environment path to set up the c compiler to compile C/C++ programs??

thanks

February 03, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Winterwolf,

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you asking about the environment paths that need to be set to set up avr-gcc to compile the code for the microcontrollers? If so that depends on where you put WinAVR (on windwos). Most the time it installs itself the root C: folder. Inside that folder there is a bin, and a utils folder, both of those folders need to be in your PATH to be able to compile from the command line. Is that what you were looking for?

Humberto

February 04, 2010
by winterwolf

yeah sorry I should have been more clear winAVR installed perfectly but when I type 'gcc' into the cmd prompt it doesn't recognise it and I cannot compile C programs. Does that mean I can only compile programs for micro controllers and I cannot compile C programs, (like I also wanted to be able to write and compile C/C++ programs not just for microcontrollers).

in otherwords does winAVR only let you compile programs for micro controllers and not general C programs?

February 04, 2010
by pbfy0

Correct, it only compiles for microcontrollers.

February 04, 2010
by JKITSON

I downloaded the "lcc-win32" free compiler system. It seems to work very well.

Jim

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build a giant scrolling LED array with our microcontroller kit? Learn more...