NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » More question with somebody seeking a Masters Degree

May 24, 2015
by jmuthe

In my others thread, I mentioned that I was interested in getting my Masters degree in electrical engineering in a University in Malta. However, I didn’t like the fact that the only course available is by research and didn’t have many formal taught classes. Therefore, I decided to just go to a university somewhere where I currently live which is in Queens, New York. I have several questions relating to this, and I will put them all on a new thread since I went off topic from the other thread. However, if a question gets overlooked, then I might ask it specifically on a new thread.

1) I tried to find universities that offer an electrical engineering masters degree somewhere within 50 miles of where I live, which is in Queens, New York. So far, I looked at NYIT, Stonybrook, City college, and NYU Polytech. Are there any other Universities that I may have missed, and if so, what are they?

2) When I looked at the curriculum for NYIT, I noticed that they didn’t have any courses with microcontrollers. When I contacted them, they told me that those courses are just for the undergraduate students. However, I would think that if somebody wants to get a job as an electronic engineer, that microcontrollers would be a huge part of that. If a masters course doesn’t have at least one class on microcontrollers then are they worth going to? How would somebody design complicated electronic circuits without being an expert in microcontrollers?

3) One thing that worries me about going back to college is that I did good in my undergraduate studies, but I graduated ten years ago. I am afraid that I forgot a lot of what I learned, and without a good review, I might be lost. What should I do? Should I try to review everything I can on electronics and math before I start my courses? Is that necessary and if so, is there anything specific I should go over?

May 25, 2015
by Ralphxyz

New Jersey has a great "Technical College".

So take some undergraduate courses with your Master's course.

May 25, 2015
by jmuthe

That is actually a good point. So I wonder, if a University doesn't have a course that I want in its graduate program but has one in its under-graduate program, could I ask to take that course as well? I understand that I will probably have to pay extra money, and I would still have to take my regular graduate courses, but will a University allow me to do that?

May 25, 2015
by Ralphxyz

You will have to ask them. Seems like a lot of your questions would be answered if you interview a few colleges.

May 26, 2015
by scootergarrett

It's common to audit an undergraduate class for exactly your reasons, and most colleges allow it. It doesn't cost that much but you get no credit.

July 11, 2015
by jmuthe

I have one last question for now but it is an important one. As stated before, the main reason why I am going for my masters degree is because I want to get a better job. Right now I am just a electronic technician. I am hoping to find something as an engineer with much better pay. However, before I go to get my degree, I want to make sure that it will lead to a better job. So is it fairly easy for someone with a master in electrical engineering to find a good job in that field? If so, what is the job title? Lastly, if there are good jobs for graduates, are they limited to a specific region or are they quite plentiful all around the country?

July 12, 2015
by JKITSON

jmuthe

I found thru the years that the better jobs came about by my efforts and desire to advance. Education can help a lot, but will not "make sure" anything will happen. Only you and your efforts will entice employers to advance you. A masters in ee along with the past technician experience should open some doors. You have to make the effort to find those doors..

Jim

July 12, 2015
by jmuthe

I understand that no college could guarantee that their graduates will find a job in their field. Once the student graduates, it is up to him or her to find a job. However, before I attend a university, I want to first make sure that there are a lot of good careers out there in the field I major in. Many people are aware that not all degrees can lead to getting good jobs in a student's field equally. Some people take majors that are in demand so they could easily find a great job anywhere while others take majors that are not in demand.

I always hear that engineers are always in demand but I know that there are different types of engineers so I just want to make sure that my electrical engineering major is in demand. Basically, if anybody else majored in electrical engineering, I want to know if you found a job in your field easily or not and if it pays well. I also want to know what is your job title exactly and what is your job description. Thank you.

July 13, 2015
by Ralphxyz

jmuthe, I think you are going have problems no matter what path or university.

You do not seem to be willing to put yourself out on a limb, willing to fall off if needed.

You do not demonstrate any willingness to find out things for your self.

Go and buy a newspaper and look in the help wanted ads. Big paper small paper put some effort into it.

Chances are you will see the same job demands, there will be more in the bigger papers.

Go on line and view papers that publish on the web and you can learn what part of the country if hiring which professions.

Sorry don't mean to offend but this has been going on for three months and you are no further ahead.

You have had sound advice from a lot of folks, now it's your turn to show us what you accomplish.

July 15, 2015
by jmuthe

Don't worry. I'm not offended and I appreciate your advice. However,I think that many people might have misunderstood the goal of my thread. It is probably my fault because I often ask too many questions in one thread. I know that it is important to do research but I think that the best way to research something is to ask somebody that already did something that you want to do.For example if you are thinking of buying a product and you want to know if it is good, then you should ask for the opinion of people that already bought it. Likewise if you want to major in something, then you should ask somebody that already majored in it.

So I want to know if anybody who is reading this is a graduate that majored in electrical engineering. If so, then tell me what you are currently doing for a living and what is your specific job title. Are you an engineer, a programmer, a technician or something else unrelated to your major.

So basically, if anybody is a graduate who majored in electrical engineering, I just want to know what you currently do for a living. I think that that question is simple and reasonable enough.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a piezoelectric buzzer can be used in reverse as a microphone? Learn more...