NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » connector or cable for LCD display?

August 08, 2012
by Medic8388

Hey, Is there a cable or even a connector that can be used to plug into the LCD display and then into the breadboard? Seems like its pretty easy for me to accidentally disconnect a wire here and there.

Thanks

August 08, 2012
by Ralphxyz

Seems like its pretty easy for me to accidentally disconnect a wire here and there.

Hi Medic8388, yup especially at first it is very easy to upset the wiring.

It seems to not happen as often latter on.

You probable have to make up your own header connector.

Also there are various methods of reducing the wire count to two (well four with power and ground).

Here is Rick_S's I2C LCD.

Ralph

August 09, 2012
by pcbolt

Medic -

The trouble with making up a cable for going from the MCU to the LCD is the wires get split apart at both ends of the connection. You'd almost have to make up two cable connectors at the MCU side and one at the LCD side and cross wires to get it to work. The best solution I found was to use a shift register (with 2 resistors and 1 diode) on a small proto board and use only two wires connected to any 2 open pins on the MCU (you also need GND and Vcc wires). I have a photo HERE and there is a link there to Wayward's webpage on how to build it. It is a fun project to enhance your prototyping skills.

August 13, 2012
by missle3944

I made one using a ribbon cable and 2 old ide male connectors here

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a square wave sounds different than a sine wave? Learn more...