NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Sensors, Actuators, and Robotics » Do I need a separate supply for running a motor?

June 11, 2012
by chaosatom

If so, why? Some specific details would be good.

June 11, 2012
by mongo

Depends on the motor, really.

June 11, 2012
by chaosatom

It is a DC motor.

June 11, 2012
by rajabalu21

What mongo means is how big the DC motor is going to be? What is the voltage and current requirements of the motor you are talking about? If it does run on 5V and draws a few mA to run, then it is viable to run it using the same supply as the Nerdkit. If for example your DC motor runs at 12V then, you may need a separate power supply.

-Raja

June 11, 2012
by pcbolt

@chaosatom -

I don't think you actually "need" an separate power supply for your motor. You may "want" one if the the motor draws too much current at start up or under load because your MCU may do a power reset. Also, depending on your application, the motor may induce "noise" in the power supply that may cause problems. These effects may be lessened by using capacitors to filter out unwanted voltage spikes. You should check the specs on the 5v voltage regulator and make sure the suppy isn't too high (12v is fine). Should be interesting experimenting with it.

June 20, 2012
by mongo

Thanx for helping... I was in a bit of a hurry to go into any details at the time

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that signed numbers need to be sign-extended when chaging variable sizes? Learn more...