NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » I don't understand MOSFETS.

May 22, 2012
by whitehatyoyoer

Hello, I just got my Nerdkit up and running last night(the basic setup). I read through the book and understood pretty much all of it, then I got to the MOSFET section, I understand what a MOSFET does, but I don't get difference in an n-channel MOSFET and p-channel MOSFET. Then because of that I don't get the NOT and the NAND gates and how they work.

Thanks for any help,

--Whitehat

May 22, 2012
by Ralphxyz

but I don't get difference in an n-channel MOSFET and p-channel MOSFET.

Start here:

Wikipedia Semi Device

and then here:

WiKipedia MOSFET

You have to understand Semiconductor devices in general then the different MOSFET "start" to make more sense.

If you can explain how not understanding n-channel and p-channel MOSFETs work causes misunderstanding of NOT and NAND gates that would be interesting.

The easiest way to "start" to understand NOT and NAND (Not AND) is to apply mathematical logic to them.

Again WiKipedia is a good place to start, how are you doing with bit-wise math?

Ralph

May 22, 2012
by whitehatyoyoer

Thanks for the links. About not understanding the NOT and NAND gates, I really don't know, I can't explain what I mean, I just don't. I haven't got to the bit-wise math yet, I'm at the compiling the program part of the book right now.

--Whitehat

May 22, 2012
by Ralphxyz

Luckily you do not have to be to concerned about learning the different "Analog" Gates and their functions as you can do so much with a mcu. Analog still has it's place.

As you learn programming especially bit-wise math you will start to get a working knowledge (as in everyday) of bit wise logic and you will soon be able to comprehend the different Analog Logic Gates.

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can use printf and scanf functions to talk to your computer from your USB NerdKit? Learn more...