NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Pokemon color link + usb + repeater

April 10, 2012
by rhu

Essentially I've been toying with an idea today where I would like to step back in time and trade a pokemon from one Gameboy Color device to another. The tricky part is I would like to do this from one side of the world to the other online :)

I'm really just hoping some of you can point me in the right direction on this one. Once I have the data I have no problem with transferring it through the internet, I do a lot of website/computer-science related work. I'm also presuming that I don't need to care what data is transferred, the gameboy on either side will handle that!

My first challenge is transferring the data from the gameboy color link to my PC, any ideas on how hard this is and how I would go about doing it? :)

Here are the specs on the gameboy color cable (at least the only one I can find!)

Pin  Name    Cable
1    VDD35   N/A
2    SO  Red
3    SI  Orange
4    SD  Brown
5    SC  Green
6    GND     Blue
Shield       Shield
SI=Data In, SO=Data Out, SD/SC Flow control

Given my lack of knowledge with anything hardware related I have no idea what any of this means or how I would link up to USB :)

Any help, links or pointers would be great! Thanks

April 11, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi rhu,

This is a very interesting project, but not at all a trivial one. Doing a little googling, it seems that the link transfer cable doesn't really define a protocol, and instead games just use it however they want. This means that there is no standard way of reading and sending data, and I could not find anything that talked about how the Pokemon games handle it. If you have an oscillascope, it might be cool to hook it up to the SI and SO lines, see what you get!

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can input numbers in binary via a DIP switch, and output them to the LCD? Learn more...