NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Oscilloscopes (for the umpteenth time)

March 26, 2012
by Blackwatch42nd

I realize this subject has been discussed ad nauseum, but I trying to decide on a good o-scope. I've narrowed it down to three. I want a quality scope and am willing to spend a few extra bucks (not too much extra, cause I'm only doing this for fun). So here are my choices:

1. BK Precision 2542B-Gen: I like this one because it has a good size bandwidth and decent sampling rate. Also, it's has a built in wave form generator.

2. Tektronics TDS2012C: has the same bandwidth but a higher sample rate. No wave form generator.

3. Rigol DS1204B: This has the the broader bandwidth, higher sample rate, 4 inputs, but, again no wave form generator.

I'm leaning toward the BK because of the wave form generator, but the Rigol has nice bandwidth/sample rate and 4 inputs. Then again the Tektronics has the name recognition and reputation. All are about the same price.

Once again, I'm not a professional, only a hobbyist having fun. But when i buy a piece of equipment, I may not buy the best, but I try to buy quality that will last.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx John

March 26, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Blackwatch42nd,

All the scopes you picked out have very good specs, and whichever one you go with will do great. If I had to pick one, I would probably go with the Tektronics, partly because of the trusted name, and because of the added bandwidth (which is always good to have), and with the couple of hundred bucks difference in price you could pick up a separate function generator. Just my two cents.

Humberto

March 26, 2012
by Blackwatch42nd

Humberto,

Thanx for the reply. I was wondering about BK's reputation. They've been around for a long time. Does anyone know their reputation?

John

March 29, 2012
by Blackwatch42nd

Well,looks like nobody else has an opinion. I'm a little disappointed. Kind'a thought I'd get more feed back. When I decide, I'll let everyone know and how it turns out.

Humberto, Thanx for your input.

John

March 29, 2012
by mongo

Just from personal experience, I have used B&K and Tektronix in the past. B&K is like the Chevy to Tektronix Cadillac. Both are fine and if you are not concerned with the minor things, I would go with what is best for your economy.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build a digital read out (DRO) for a lathe or milling machine? Learn more...