NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Customer Testimonials » Another satisfied customer

March 24, 2012
by JamesFysh

I was lucky enough to get the kit on Friday, just in time for the weekend :) So far I've just been reading through the PDF, and have wired up the test project - it worked straight off, which is always very encouraging!

I'm hoping I haven't jumped the gun here too much - I really do want to learn the basics (capacitors, discrete transistors, and how electricity really works) before I fall back onto MCUs for ease-of-implementation.

One thing that kind-of stuck out, is that there is no mention of conventional versus electric current. I'm not sure if explaining this early in the PDF is a good idea, or whether maybe it is just an additional source of confusion? For me, reading that electrons from from the negative to positive terminal (if I did not already know about conventional current) would probably have been a source of confusion.

Anyway, on to tinkering! :)

March 26, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi James,

I'm glad you are enjoying your kit. Wrapping your head around the conventions for the flow of electrons and how we define current can be a bit confusing, but ultimately it all comes down to picking one and sticking with it. Perhaps it would be a good idea to go a little further into it in our guide, but you are right that it might just add more confusion.

I look forward to reading about your projects on the forums!

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a NerdKit can take control of a remote-controlled car? Learn more...