NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » How to recognize com port #9

January 14, 2012
by charlies

Windows XP. USB cable loads on com port #9. What is the location of the makefile I need to edit and exactly what line?

January 14, 2012
by treymd

The Makefiles are located in each project directory with the source of the project. The line you change will be the AVRDUDE options, replace /dev/ttyUSBXXX with ONLY com9 not /dev/com9

January 14, 2012
by charlies

OK. thanks treymd. I think I found the makefile. when I open it with notepad its all on one line and kinda hard to read. Is there a better program to open it with and edit in? I did download the AVR stuff from nerdkits downloads.

January 14, 2012
by treymd

There is an explanation for that, I will go into that later. The WinAVR download should include programmer's notepad, it will display better in that.

Now for the cause: Windows considers two control characters to be the end of a line, whereas most others only use one. Notepad thinks there should be both a carriage return, and a linefeed (both invisible characters) at the end of each line. Many of the source files, however, are written in unix format, which only has the linefeed at the end of each line. Notepad therefore, thinks that there is no "newlines" and displays it all on one line.

Programmer's Notepad, as well as many other freely available text editors, are not as strict about CR/LF as notepad is, and will display things correctly.

January 14, 2012
by charlies

OK. I think I edited the line in programmers notepad to be com9. I used the cmd prompt to navigate to the directory where the initialload.c file and make file reside. I typed "make", it looked like something good was happening, then I got an error that said "cant open device "/dev/com9":the system cannot find the path specified. I think I must be close to getting this to work. Do I have to compile something? I am on page 43 of the instructions. When I first wired things up and powered up I got the congratulations message ok and I still get it when I power up with the switch down. I am pretty sure the wiring is correct.

January 14, 2012
by charlies

Thank you treymd. I got it to work. I did not edit the AVRDUDE port line exactly correct the first time. When I did it again the way you explained ,it worked great. thanks again!!

January 14, 2012
by BobaMosfet

You can go into Programmer's Notepad, go to the 'Tools->Line Endings' menu item and select for Unix or Windows.

BM

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that 20 LEDs can be controlled from 11 microcontroller pins, to make a twinkling heart outline? Learn more...