NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » If I Started To Profit From Kit, Would NerdKit Demand A Cut?

August 10, 2009
by Nerdful_com

I just wonder if I was to say start a scrolling LED clock as a full retail product (fully assempled) that was maketed to stores, would I be allowed to buy my own cheaper MCUs without bootloader and load up NerdKit's bootloader (VIA ISP programmer) without owing them money on each unit? Or is it kind of like Windows where each unit needs to pay for the privledge?

Is this completely open source?

Am I free to alter anything I want in code downloads?

www.Nerdful.com

August 17, 2009
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Nerdful,

If it's just a finished product you're making, you are absolutely welcome to go buy your own MCUs and load our bootloader (or your own, or none) and code. We wouldn't need to be involved at all, although of course we'd love to hear about it and might link to your work on our site! This is the type of innovative spirit we encourage!

You are also free to use or alter our code as you wish as part of a binary product. The only case in which we'd need to be involved is if you were considering redistributing the content in The NerdKits Guide, or redistributing our non-public source code. Hope that helps!

Mike

August 19, 2009
by Nerdful_com

Well glad to hear, thanks for answering.

What is the non-public code? Is that the Code.zip file we download from the members area?

nerdful

August 19, 2009
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Yup -- for now!

Mike

August 19, 2009
by Nerdful_com

What about the uart.c or foodloader.c that are included in folder "bootloader" of code.zip file? They seem to be GNU/GPU.

Are all the files in the BootLoader folder freely shareable?

August 19, 2009
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Yes, the bootloader is GPL'd.

Mike

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that NerdKits has a TV commercial, seen on MythBusters and the Science Channel? Learn more...