NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » error: cannot open com2: specified file not found

January 05, 2012
by tchilzer2

I have changed the com port in my device mngr to com 2. I replaced "/dev/ttybus0" with "com2" in the make file. I re installed the windows vista driver (I am running windows 7) and I am still getting this error: cannot open device "com2": the system cannot find the file specified. Is there a specific foldier this com2 file should be in? do I have to put a full path to the controll panel device mngr? please help I have been stuck here for a while. thank you!

January 05, 2012
by Rick_S

Com2 isn't a file so there is no path involved. It is simply an alias used by the system to make a friendly name for a communications port on your computer. Did you change the port using the pulldown from the advanced button? If so, what port did your pc originally designate? Did you try using that port in your makefile? The port doesn't always need changed.

Also, in your post here, you have quotes around com2. You don't have quotes around it in your makefile correct?

Rick

January 05, 2012
by Ralphxyz

tchilzer2, post your makefile.

Use the "Indent Selection as Code Block" button to make it easy to read.

Ralph

January 05, 2012
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi tchilzer2,

I believe you posted about this issue in a different thread, and it feels from the info there as if this is a permissions issue. Try opening the command line as administrator. You can right click the icon and choose open as administrator, then navigate to the correct folder and try make.

Humberto

January 05, 2012
by tchilzer2

Thank you guys so much! It was the administrator problem. I ran the cmd as administrator and I still got the error but it was because when I reinstalled the driver, I really uninstalled lol. Anyway re installed driver changed the com port again (my computer likes 6) ran cmd as administrator and violla! Thanks a bunch!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that the microcontroller's crystal oscillator can be used to keep accurate time? Learn more...