NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Web based LED Nerkit Array?

September 28, 2011
by Sovereign

So I managed to get the array set up and running fine...when I realized something. How great would it be to have a web based interface for entering text or data into the array? Anywhere in the house (or world if set up that way) you can change what your array is displaying. Anyone know how this could be done/have already done it? Thanks!

September 28, 2011
by Sovereign

And of course I mean through a computer not standalone.

September 29, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Sovereign,

Most of the complexity of this project is on the computer/webserver end of things. If you are not familiar at all with these technologies I would suggest starting off by looking around for an Apaache/PHP tutorial. Once you get comfortable with that you should be able to make a little page with a form that you can access from any computer on your local network (im assuming you have a local router for your house) and post text back to PHP. At that point its a matter of opening up either socket, or a file, to communicate with python that can send the data out to the array. If you take all this one step at a time, I think it can be a neat project that you can learn a lot from.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that one NerdKits customer discovered that his hamster ran several miles in a night using his kit and a Hall-effect sensor? Learn more...