NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Running Piezoelectric Inkjet Printer Printhead.

August 19, 2011
by serkanozkan

Hello, Is there any one has tried to fire Print head using nerd kits? I want to built a powder based 3d inkjet printer that uses as binder plaster, distilled water. If success it can be used also mobile wheeled inkjet printer Project too for any flat surface.

My Nerd Kit Stepper motor experiment videos at; http://www.youtube.com/user/yenigelecek#p/a/u/0/4rPzSaHZ1lM http://www.youtube.com/user/yenigelecek#p/a/u/1/mymCdzC36hY http://www.youtube.com/user/yenigelecek#p/a/u/2/DF5AqdR-S18

Thanks for NerdKits Help me to achieve my goals.

August 19, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Isn't a print head just an array? If so probable the Nerdkit's LED-Array project could be transformed.

Depending on the array grid you could also use shift registers, but again you are just firing rows and columns!

Search the Nerdkit forum for lots of discussions about the LED-Array and shift Registers.

Now concerning your stepper motor videos:

Where did you get the ball screw? Are you building a XY table?

You should post a description of your stepper motor work here in the Projects forum and at the Nerdkit Library Projects.

Ralph

August 19, 2011
by serkanozkan

it is a lead screw. It is ready built in any DVD player. it is actually mini bipolar stepper motor with low torque. Other stepper motor from Epson C67 inkjet printer. It is specified as 42 volt 1 Amper. But i was testing on USB power. So on higher speeds it did not moved. only slow speed steps can be able to move. 4x 2 piece 2n3904 Transistors and 4 x2 piece 1n4007 Diods has been used to built 2 piece H bridge driver for the bipolar stepper motor.

My Concern is the pin outs and voltage of the piezo electric nozzles. I do not want to burn on first test. Serkan

August 19, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Do you have a schematic of a circuit?

What piezo print head are you trying to use?

What voltage does the nozzle require?

You can do higher voltage switching with transistors.

Ralph

August 20, 2011
by serkanozkan

I have a Epson C67 i have ripped off. I purchased an extra print head and continuous ink supply. i have not measured what voltage is. thats what i wanted to know. When i will test it, i will make from low voltage and some variable frequence. I will know what is max when i burn it :) I may be measure output. But this epson printer checking cardridge installed condution. So voltage measurement quite difficult.

August 20, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Didn't you get any documentation with the print head you purchased?

Where did you purchase the new print head?

There probable are other forums focused on 3d inkjet printers you probable would get better answers their.

We are limited by what you are telling us.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Ralph

August 21, 2011
by serkanozkan

I have only epson service manual that I have downloaded from internet. It is showing some information about print head nozzles that how many nozzles for which color.

Print head has an IC module comes together. Probably it s made first to reduce the cable quantity, second is control the ink level and quantity. If I can bypass them and use nozzles directly with nerdkits Led matrix, without it's own IC that print head may work.

I have searched before I did not found about 3d inkjet printer projects in the nerdkits forum. I have requested also make a tutorial about firing inkjet print head using nerd kits from the support. But I did not get an answer so far. I guess I will make that tutorial soon :)

I have a variable frequency generator. I will connect to print head and try to run with it. But if that IC made for to reverse polarity like H Bridge motor controller, than That is another thing. Let me see it. Something appearing in my mind while I am writing here :)

Thanks

Serkan

August 21, 2011
by serkanozkan

I am sorry I missed one of your question. I have purchased print head online here one of russian website. It is Made in Endonesia. I also purchased some used Epson C67 and more older models too. I will try first with the old printers. I think it could be find on the ebay too.

There are Yahoo Groups to modify inkjet printers but. They are not deeply discussed into electronic. Their focus mainly to modfy mechanical parts and hack the printer. My focus is to make electronics under control.

Serkan

August 22, 2011
by serkanozkan

I have ripped off already not good printing old Epson C42 PrinterI have checked print head pin out marked them. But not at all. I decided to see what is inside print head. and how do they arrayed 48 monochrome, 15 x 3 color nozzles and addressed. They hide a multiplier IC inside the head. I think There is two way; 1. way : decode all the pins and learn how this multiplier chip works! 2. way cut that wires, from the IC and solder that micro tiny printed cable channels in to a flexible cable set and connect to the nerdkits LED matrix circuit.

But I have some idea how to solder that tiny smaller than hair wires. I may solder in to a wide aluminium plate all of them, cut the plate like a paper and separate them as much as possible after dry into epoxy that will not be ripped easily. I have added some images down;

"Printhead cartridge carrier.", "Click For Original Size"

"Printhead Pin Definition", "Click For Original Size"

"Printhead Nozzle Definition", "Click For Original Size"

"Printhead ripped off from the control board.", "Click For Original Size"

"Printhead ripped off from the control board and the carrier.", "Click For Original Size"

If you want look HD original size all of the album that I have uploaded link added below.

"Serkan's piezoelectric printhead experiences."

Serkan

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that inductors try to keep their current constant over short periods of time? Learn more...