NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Doesn't write often

July 10, 2011
by BlueFusion

Hi,

I just got my NerdKit a few days ago and have been playing with it a bit. I can't get it to write compiled code to the MCU 9/10 times. I have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting the USB and battery and try again and again and again. Eventually it will work, but it takes many attempts and I can't see any reason for this.

All wires seem firm, and when it does flash, the initload code works as expected. I can't figure out what is wrong here. Any ideas or tips/tricks?

I am using Gentoo Linux with the 2.6.39 kernel.

July 11, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Hi BlueFusion, welcome!!

You might be suffering from the notorious yellow wire syndrome!

If you search the Nerdkit forum you will see lots of discussions and that you are not alone.

Noter has a nice MOSFET solution in my yellow wire thread Humberto had suggested that I add a switch to the yellow wire.

The problem is that there is, on some computers, 2.4volts on the yellow wire that does not allow you to switch states (run/programing).

Recently I have found adding a switch on the reset pin alleviates the hangup problem with the yellow wire but the wire is always energized. Here is Rick's thread on adding a reset switch.

I want to implement Noters solution but for now the reset switch is working great.

That is a momentary close normally open switch not a toggle switch!

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a piezoelectric buzzer can be used in reverse as a microphone? Learn more...