NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Making a programmer

July 04, 2011
by hariharan

Can I program a microcontroller with a microcontroller? Like make a programmer with a atmega168?

July 04, 2011
by Ralphxyz

hariharan, don't you read the other threads or do you just ask questions?

Just the other day Noter published this

So yes you can use your Nerdkit as a programmer.

Ralph

July 04, 2011
by Rick_S

Ralph, You're so mean... BigGrin

Didn't you know it's your responsibility to search and find answers to peoples questions for them. Tongue in Cheek

July 04, 2011
by hariharan

i am sorry!!! I apologise! i will never make that mistake again. :)

July 05, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Hari and others,

Aside from the fact that you should take some time to read other threads before throwing your questions out, I would like to commend you for having this thought. If in fact you came up with the idea by yourself, thinking up a chip that can program other chips requires a fairly big conceptual leap. It sounds like you are learning and growing as an engineer, keep it up!

Humberto

July 05, 2011
by Rick_S

hariharan,

I hope you know what I said was in jest... thus the smileys. As you'll find, the limits of micro-controllers are really the limits of what you can imagine. The ATMEGA168 bundled in the NerdKit may not be able to do everything you may need in the future, but what you learn putting it through it's paces will help you in the future if you do outgrow it. You will be amazed though at what you can do. If you start just browsing and reading some of the threads on this forum, you'll find all kinds of neat projects that have been done. Also, please take what Ralph said with a grain of salt, He's a regular who is often more than happy to help whenever he can. We all have our off days and sometimes an unassuming person gets the brunt of it.

Please don't let it cause you to shy away from asking questions. We've all been there and still are sometimes.

Rick

July 05, 2011
by Noter

Hi hariharan,

The best way to keep up on the posts in the various threads is to use the RSS feed. I can tell you it's very easy with windows and IE but that's all I can tell you. I have no idea how RSS works with other browsers or operating systems. I tried to get it going in chrome but realized chrome doesn't support RSS feeds.

I hope you give the nerdkit programmer a try. I never bought one, I just made that one and still use it all the time. I probably should make it permanent with a circuit board but so far it is working fine on the breadboard. Don't worry about asking questions either, we'll will be happy to help you get it going.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can adjust most wire strippers to make it easier to strip insulation faster? Learn more...