NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Wake via Serial to USB

June 18, 2011
by grombletromble

I'm trying to get my microcontroller to wake a PC up via the Serial to USB cable I got with the Nerdkit. I've investigated a bit and it doesn't appear as though the cable is recognised as USB, more like a COM port and obviously Windows 7 doesn't like to be awoken by COM ports to my knowledge. Anyway, my query is to whether it would be possible to wake up a computer via the microcontroller when it is connected and powered by the USB?

June 18, 2011
by missle3944

Hi grombletromble,

You could write a python program that detects when a com port is opened and then it starts up then alerting the computer to wake up.

-missle3944

June 18, 2011
by grombletromble

Hmm, but the program can't run while the computer is asleep can it? It's not the OS that wakes the system but the motherboard and BIOS, so essentially to get it to wake via the COM port I think I would have to modify the BIOS O_O

Anyway, I have found a suitable workaround - I have just set my motherboard to wake at a certain time every day and then from there I will do some python programming for what I want to do. Which is good I guess because it frees up my Nerdkit to do some other stuff with!

June 19, 2011
by Noter

You could switch from the usb to a serial port and use the ring indicator ping to wake on ring.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that reading a double floating point variable with scanf requires "%lf" for "long float"? Learn more...