NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Atmega Arm-Assistant

June 14, 2011
by Master_Programmer

Hello everyone, i'm trying to develop kind of a computer, that i strap to my lower arm.

i'd call it a wristwatch computer, but i know it's gonna be bulky, so i'm pretty sure that name would be a bit misleading.....

Anyways, i need some help.....i need a good way to input text, without having to hadd a huge freakin' keyboard.

i've looked at keypads, and they may work with some special planning, but i'd like to find an alternative if i can.

So basically, to sum up a long story, i need help coming up with ideas for text input. :D

June 14, 2011
by missle3944

Hi Master_Programmer,

You could possibly try a interface were you have 1 button and one press goes to the letter A and 2 press goes to letter B and so on. This could take some coding time and it could be kinda slow. Are you aiming for one of those old calculator watches were the buttons are super tiny? You could possibly hack one of those keyboards. Also there is a keyboard chat pad for the xbox 360 that is just about 4 inches long

-missle3944

June 14, 2011
by Master_Programmer

Interesting idea......and i'm not making separate buttons for each key.....i don't have that many buttons lying around, and i'm trying to make this project cost as little as i can, because it's gonna be one of those "I'm probably the only person in the world who would ever want/like to use a device like this" projects. XD

but to anyone who's interested, i'll post pictures once i get some solid progress on the device. :)

June 15, 2011
by Master_Programmer

Okay, i have the Nerd-kits lcd connected to my atmega 168, and i've been trying to find out how to set the font to the 5x10 font....as it has symbols and characters i want on it......can someone help me with this?

June 15, 2011
by Master_Programmer

basically, i want to use the A01 character set.

June 15, 2011
by missle3944

Hi master programmer,

What do you mean A01 text and 5 by 10 size on the LCD? That could require you having to make custom LCD characters. I can Post some code if you want on how to create custom lcd characters. Have you completed the guide yet? Because that can offer a HUGE amount of knowledge on how to code and solve common problems.

-missle3944

June 15, 2011
by bretm

According to this thread the Nerdkits LCD only has the A00 character set.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that signed numbers need to be sign-extended when chaging variable sizes? Learn more...