NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Aquarium Controller

May 30, 2011
by bjohanson1234

Hello, I am new to the site and havent touched electronics in well over ten years. Found this site and am now picking up the hobby again.

Figured I would attemp to make a device that would control the heater and the lights on my aquarium which will eventually be dimmable LEDs using PWM. Nothing like merging two hobbies together right?

Anyways, just thought that I would make a thread about my project just to help keep things organized and to get any input/pick some brains.

Would posting a link to my build page be allowed? Figure its best to ask before posting.

Brian

May 30, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Hi Brian, welcome.

Posting your link is fine.

You might want to search the forum for "aquarium" you should fine other people had similar ides.

I like having ongoing threads about specific projects so keep us posted.

Ralph

May 30, 2011
by bjohanson1234

Thanks Ralph

Not much on the site other than trying to get an aquarium thermometer to be read by the nerd kit. My project is going to be a bit more involved which will include a 24 hour clock that will turn on and off the lights and also give them a random brightness through out the day. Something to simulate cloud cover. Also turn on and off the heater using a relay.

Anyway, here is the link.

http://users.wowway.com/~bjohanson1234/index.html Still needs work as you can see :D

So far, I have gotten about 1/4 of the way through the temp example with the nerd kit. Still trying to wrap my head around the C programming. Had that for about half a semester in college and didnt really get much past variables. Atleast it is a start though.

May 30, 2011
by bjohanson1234

Thanks Ralph

Not much on the site other than trying to get an aquarium thermometer to be read by the nerd kit. My project is going to be a bit more involved which will include a 24 hour clock that will turn on and off the lights and also give them a random brightness through out the day. Something to simulate cloud cover. Also turn on and off the heater using a relay.

Anyway, here is the link.

http://users.wowway.com/~bjohanson1234/index.html

Still needs work as you can see :D

So far, I have gotten about 1/4 of the way through the temp example with the nerd kit. Still trying to wrap my head around the C programming. Had that for about half a semester in college and didnt really get much past variables. Atleast it is a start though.

June 11, 2011
by petek157

I will be keeping an eye on this thread. I was thinking about doing something similar with my newly acquired nerdkit. I was looking to include a auto feeder too. Unlike you I have NO C experience and very limited electronics so.... I am really starting from scratch but very excited to start.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can generate hundreds of volts AC from your microcontroller with a little bit of circuitry? Learn more...