NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Nerdkit

May 14, 2011
by HJA

nerdkit hardware OK cannot find AVRStudio in downloads. Require instructions installing software. Can you help

herb

May 14, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Hi Herb, you will probable find you do not use AVR Studio. You can try downloading everything again.

AVR Studio is for Windows OS so if you are on Linux or OS X you will not use it.

You can also download it from Atmel make sure and download all of the service packs. If you are curageous there is also a AVR Studio 5 BETA download.

In the Nerdkit's download there is Programmers NotePad, that is a popular development eviroment (IDE) you can do everything from there (build, compile and load).

Ralph

May 14, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Herb,

I think where you are having trouble is installing WinAVR. If you are following the NerdKits Guide you should need to install WinAVR, which is a collection of tools that let us compile and upload the code to the MCU. You can find a link to WinAVR, and the cable driver (both of which you need to install), in the Downloads Section of our members area.

Humberto

May 15, 2011
by HJA

I am using "WINDOWS XP Home OS", and an HP dx2000 desktop. I could try downloading AVRStudio but which version? or, dose it matter ?.

Question: Download to a new folder in thr C drive, or to desktop, or..... ?. What path is required if any.

Thank you Ralph and Humberto for responding. HJA

May 15, 2011
by Rick_S

Herb,

Are you planning on programming in Assembly language or using hardware and methods that did not come with your NerdKit? That would be the main reason for using Atmels AVR Studio Development software.

If however, you are just trying to follow the guide and use the hardware and sample programs included with your NerdKit, you do not need AVR Studio from Atmel, you need to go the the Downloads section of the Members area on the NerdKit website and download WinAVR for Windows. Once this is installed, you should be able to use the sample source code (also a download).

As far as where do you download it to, that doesn't really matter for WinAVR. Install takes care of this when run. As for the code folder download, just place it intact (keeping all the folders within the code folder) somewhere you can easily access them.

Rick

May 15, 2011
by HJA

Hello Rick:

Page 39 par.2 of the guide , "we have included the installer for WinAvr Avr-Studio".

I am using Windows XP OS. Does this OS not require AVRStudio?. WinAVR installed OK and The code.zip is on the desktop.

Thanks Rick.

Herb

May 15, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi HJA,

That is admittedly not the best wording in the guide. AVR-Studio is not required, as long as WinAVR installed correctly you should be good to go.

Humberto

May 15, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Unzip code.zip to C: that way it will be easy to find.

Ralph

May 17, 2011
by HJA

Hi Ralph: I have removed all previous downloads and reinstalled WinAVR and zip files to C: and located the required files for the next experiment. Thank you.

New Question: Pg.42 RE Com Ports. Windows XP Shows communications Port(com1), ECP Printer Port(LPT1)and intel(R)82081B USB Universal host controller's - 24D2, 24D4, 24D7, 24DE 24DD & USB Printing Support. Also USB Root Hub. (5 of them with no address given). There is no Com2,3,4,5 or 6. (I could send a complete copy of Divice Manager if desired) Thanks Ralph, Rick and Humberto. Herb.

May 18, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Herb, what exactly is your question?

Ralph

May 18, 2011
by HJA

Hello Ralph:

Re: The instructions on pg.42 to configure COM5 ?

Windows XP Devise Manager only has COM1 % LPT1, and USB controllers. No COM5 OR COM6.

What should the change be if any, when only USB is available ?

Herb.

May 18, 2011
by Noter

Plug in the usb cable and xp should find new hardward. After the driver is installed you will see the COM port.

May 18, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi HJA,

The issue (like Noter noted) is that the cable driver has not yet been installed correctly. We provide a download for the cable driver from the downloads section, or you can let windows find it like Noter suggested.

Humberto

May 18, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Herb first the driver has to installed ut then the cable has to be plugged in to the computer and to your nerdkit before it will show up in Device Manager.

Ralph

May 19, 2011
by HJA

Hello Ralph:

My first attempt failed due to the sequence I used, and of my view of up or down on the programming switch which has to ground pin 14 for re-programming. All went well on my second attempt.

Many thanks

Herb

May 19, 2011
by Ralphxyz

That's great Herb, keep us posted.

Ralph

May 22, 2011
by HJA

Hello:

I have misplaced the LM34. What package or case (TO#) must I purchase in order to match the experiments in the user manual.

Herb

May 22, 2011
by bretm

My kit came with a TO-92 style. But that's just the size and shape.

May 25, 2011
by mcregan

Greetings:

I'm working on Project one. When I run "make" from the command line I get the following error message. (Error is at the bootom of this Post) Can you assist?

I'm running WinAVR 20100110 on my Win 7 Machine. Configured COM5 with no problems.

"My MakeFile Code" GCCFLAGS=-g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 LINKFLAGS=-Wl,-u,vfprintf -lprintf_flt -Wl,-u,vfscanf -lscanf_flt -lm AVRDUDEFLAGS=-c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P COM5 LINKOBJECTS=../libnerdkits/delay.o ../libnerdkits/lcd.o ../libnerdkits/uart.o all: initialload-upload initialload.hex: initialload.c make -C ../libnerdkits avr-gcc ${GCCFLAGS} ${LINKFLAGS} -o initialload.o initialload.c ${LINKOBJECTS} avr-objcopy -j .text -O ihex initialload.o initialload.hex

initialload.ass: initialload.hex avr-objdump -S -d initialload.o > initialload.ass initialload-upload: initialload.hex avrdude ${AVRDUDEFLAGS} -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

"The Error is at the Bottom" C:Codeinitialload>make make -C ../libnerdkits make[1]: Entering directory C:/Code/libnerdkits' avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 -o delay.o -c delay.c avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 -o lcd.o -c lcd.c avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 -o uart.o -c uart.c make[1]: Leaving directoryC:/Code/libnerdkits' avr-gcc -g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 -Wl,-u,vfprintf -lprintf_flt -Wl,-u,vfscan f -lscanf_flt -lm -o initialload.o initialload.c ../libnerdkits/delay.o ../libne rdkits/lcd.o ../libnerdkits/uart.o avr-objcopy -j .text -O ihex initialload.o initialload.hex avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P COM5 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = "Huh? Go"; type = ' Software Version = t. ; Hardware Version = '.S avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device? make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

Thanks in advance, Michael

May 25, 2011
by mcregan

I believe I found my problem. I'm not at the lab, but I believe I have the Programing switch on pin 15 of the MCU. I need to move it to pin 14.

Michael

May 29, 2011
by HJA

Hi:

Temp Sensor program was successfull. please explain the first function ADCSRA = 10000111 IN BINARY. ADCARA = (1<<ADEN) | (1<<ADPS2) | (1<<ADSP1) | (1<<ADSP0). BINARY 128 4 2 1 <<1 IS SHIFT LEFT ? AND WHAT IS THE RESULTING VALUE IN THE ADCSRA 8 BIT REGISTER ?

HERB

June 11, 2011
by HJA

Hi

The question relating to the ADCSRA register has been solved.

Thanks

Herb.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that NerdKits make a great gift? Learn more...