NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » OLED display

April 20, 2011
by aspeth20

I am wanting to use a small OLED display in a project i am working on and was wondering if it will work similarly to the lcd included with our nerdkits, ie: data bits being the same. A display i would like to use is one of these - OLED display - but if someone knows of one that might work better with our kit feel free to let me know. Thanks for any help.

April 21, 2011
by bretm

Define "similarly". That looks like a graphical display. Those are very different from the character-oriented display that comes with the Nerdkit.

With the Nerdkit LCD you send text characters to it and it displays those characters in a 20x4 grid of characters. With that graphical display you send pixel data to it and it displays a grid of 128x64 pixels.

If you want to display characters on a graphical display you would need to form the characters one pixel at a time unless the hardware includes an internal font. It doesn't look like that one does. I'm sure there are AVR code libraries available to do that for you, but they're not going to work the same as the libnerdkit/lcd.h.

April 21, 2011
by aspeth20

Alright thanks for the info, i have a better idea of what to look for now.

April 21, 2011
by Ralphxyz

aspeth20, please keep us posted on your progress. I also picked up a couple of graphical LCD (Nokia cell phone) displays but have not had time to play around with them yet.

I think having a graphical display would be neat, we might need to daisy chain a couple of micros together (master/slave) in order to have the processing power.

Ralph

April 21, 2011
by bretm

I think the atmega168 should be good enough for static text and drawing. To do animation or large raster imagery would be harder.

April 22, 2011
by aspeth20

I found this - OLED- which should work fine. It has a built in processor to communicate with the 168 (or other microcontrollers) via serial commands. Looks pretty cool.

April 22, 2011
by bretm

That's neat. It has an SD card reader on board so you can store photos and animation on the card, so the MCU only has to send commands telling it what to read from the card.

April 22, 2011
by Ralphxyz

That is a neat device, to bad one can not purchase it!!

I followed the link to their store but there is no µOLED-96-G1(SGC) found.

Please post a store link, I want one.

Ralph

April 22, 2011
by aspeth20

im not sure how i found it in the store before, but just copy the name into the search at the top to find it. Here it is oled store

April 23, 2011
by Rick_S

Keep in mind, those displays are TINY. They are less than an inch tall and around an inch wide. I must admit, they are nice to look at. BigGrin

Rick

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that the Timer/Counter modules on the microcontroller can be configured to output a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal? Learn more...