NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Nerdkits library

April 10, 2011
by hariharan

I was wondering, instead of using nerdkits c libraries, how can i program? I want to learn c programming without any nerdkits library, have any sources?

April 10, 2011
by Noter

Take some programming courses at a local college. Or there are lots of online c programming courses. Those both cost money but if you are good at self learning, search the net for "c programming tutorial", there are lots of those too. Also search for "Free C compiler" and whatever your platform is - windows, mac, linux, etc. Try one or all of them, they are all a little different but still good enough for the free tutorials. It will be easer to learn C programming on your PC instead of the mcu. There's a lot more going on with C programming than what can be done on a mcu. Learn it all, have some fun!

April 10, 2011
by hariharan

can you recomend me any books?

April 10, 2011
by hariharan

And i need books that teach for beginners.

April 10, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Me, not being a "programmer" but one who has at times spent $200 - $300 a month at Amazon trying to "teach my self" programming languages can give a hearty recommendation for:

"Type & Learn C" by Tom Swan ISBN 1-56884-073-X.

You can actually get it off Amazon as a used book for $4.95. It is the only book of the literally hundreds I have bought over the past thirty years that I can actually say I learnt something from.

Thirty years ago, before Amazon, there was a used/remaindered technical book store in New York city I used to haunt. I used to buy these books on microprocessors and programming, when I didn't even have a computer.

My job has also exposed me to many different programming languages, I actually got paid once as a consultant using APL (Another Programming Language) and of course bought the books.

I think I started with Prolog (looking for some intelligence, my wife at the time said) my last efforts were in F#, hundreds of dollars in learning .NET in the past ten years.

I really really do not recommend trying to learn programming by yourself.

Of course I once recommended hiring a guy I knew who was a adjutant professor in computer science at a local college. He taught JAVA programming so we hired him to do a simple JAVA program for us. Turned out he had to use Visual Basic to get the JAVA program started, he had taught JAVA for a number of years but had never learned how to literally program in JAVA. So just taking a course is no guarantee but it will definitely help.

Some of the online courses are good but I think every course I have tried, and believe me I have tried a lot of them (none recently), has failed at some point and I could not get help to get it working so I abandon that course of study. That is where having somebody to go to is the biggest asset.

The current crop of online tutorials really look good, and I'll be pursuing those.

The main thing I have found in trying to learn a programming language is you have to have something you want to do.

Just "wanting to learn" and studying to learn is not a effective method to learn, as opposed to wanting to measure temperature

and then having a hands on course to learn how to program a microprocessor to measure temperature, now I did that, and I learned

something about programming. I have to be able to apply my learning, just reading makes you familiar with the subject but you have to have hands on in order for it to sink in, or at least that is what I need.

Ralph

April 10, 2011
by hariharan

Thanks for your suggestions and advice Ralph and Noter!

April 10, 2011
by hariharan

I found a book in the internet. It is called 'The C programming Language' in a library. I am not sure if this can be a right book. I will certainly consider trying the book Ralph recommended, but this is readily available. This is a like to the book. If you can tell me if it is a good book to read, it will be great. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Language-2nd-Brian-Kernighan/dp/0131103628#_
Thanks!

April 10, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Brian Kernighan is one of the originators of Unix and the C programming language, with Dennis Ritchie.

This is one of the classic books on C programming, it probable is a bit deep but definitely something you would be proud to have on your shelf.

Everything will be there but not in a "just learning mode", more as a deep reference, to go back to, to look up a certain subject.

Ralph

April 10, 2011
by hariharan

thanks very much!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that spinning a permanent magnet motor makes a voltage? Learn more...