NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Compliling first file Initialload ERROR

March 05, 2011
by JHMTech1

Below is the message after trying to compile the initialload.c file using "make" file. I have re-read the Nerdkits manual multiple times and still seem to missing something here. Can one of the group please point me in the right direction as to what i am doing wrong.

Thank-you in advance for your reply

John Moore / JHMTech1

Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 x86 tools.

C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0VC>cd\

C:>cd programmingcodeinitialload

C:ProgrammingCodeinitialload>make avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P COM5 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = "Huh? Go"; type = ' Software Version = t. ; Hardware Version = '.S avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device? make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

C:ProgrammingCodeinitialload>

March 05, 2011
by Ralphxyz

"Maybe it isn't a butterfly is a very common error message. If you searched the forum for "butterfly" you would find numerous references.

In general the solution goes something like this:

1. Bad wiring on breadboard (check your wiring)
2. Change your battery, just because you see 8.75 volts with your multi meter doesn't mean you are getting 8.75 volts under load.
3. Bad wiring on breadboard (check your wiring again)
4. USB cable is not making good contact
5. Bad wiring on your breadboard (check your wiring another time)
6. Reboot
7. Bad wiring on your breadboard (completely strip the breadboard and start over)

We have all had the butterfly error there isn't a single solution, but generally the solution is "bad wiring on your breadboard".

Gee, we should have a FAQ.

Ralph

March 05, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi JHMTech1,

The "Huh? Go" in the Id tells me that your chip is not in programming mode. Make sure programming switch is properly installed, and flipped up in programming mode. Then reset power to the chip to boot the chip into programming mode. When the chip is in programming mode you should see two black bars on the LCD, and not the original message from the program.

Humberto

March 06, 2011
by JHMTech1

Humberto- Thank-you as you are exactly correct, seems an issue with the Toggle Switch which has now been resolved and all works perfectly. Greatly appreciate the reply

JHMTech1

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that talking to the microcontroller over the USB/Serial link is easy under Windows, Linux, and OS X? Learn more...