NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Sensors, Actuators, and Robotics » Basic hall effect sensor question

June 15, 2009
by hijohng

Dear All, is anyone familiar with the Allegro 132x series of hall effect sensors? I have a very basic question. The data sheet says I should see 2.5V on the output pin when there when there is no magnetic field present (with 5V between Vcc and GND). Sadly, i see only 0.7V. I bought three 1321s and see the same for all. It seems clear that either there was A) a nearly unbelievably improbable breakdown in the manufacturing process at Allegro, or B) I don't know how to measure voltage for these sensors. Right now, my money's on B. Are there any psychics out there who can tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks...

June 17, 2009
by hijohng

Dear All, please consider this thread closed. The 1321 has two packaging styles, and I was carelessly applying the pinouts for the LH style to the UA device, thus swapping GRND and VccOUT. It pains me to admit it, but there you go. I appreciate your interest and apologize for taking up your time so unnecessarily.

June 17, 2009
by wayward

hijohng, thanks for bringing this up. I was actually thinking about what it'd take to make my portable magnetic goban interface with the computer, and Hall effect was the first suspect, but I ignored it thinking that those devices are too expensive. Now I see that they really aren't!

June 18, 2009
by hijohng

Wayward -- it's surprising, isn't it, how inexpensive these components can be, especially when you consider the sophisticated physics and manufacturing processes behind them. The 132xs were something like $1.50 from Digikey. An application linking the hall effect with Go... now that's intriguing!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that an electroluminescent backlight for an LCD panel requires hundreds of volts AC to run? Learn more...