NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » verification error

January 25, 2011
by Linkster

Had something go wrong during the Caliper/DRO project. So I dewired everything and tryed to do a initialload to see if all was still OK but same error keeps coming up. Thought I read something about fuses as it might pertain to this particular error. All I can think of is that I had removed the crystal to check the leads into the board and after that I ended up here. No output on LCD. Just black squares. Make file included below. Anyones .02 ? Thanks Gary

"make.exe" all avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P com7 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = "FDL v02"; type = S Software Version = 0.2; No Hardware Version given. Programmer supports auto addr increment. Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices: Device code: 0x35

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9406 avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed To disable this feature, specify the -D option. avrdude: current erase-rewrite cycle count is -146 (if being tracked) avrdude: erasing chip avrdude: reading input file "initialload.hex" avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: writing flash (7792 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.75s

avrdude: 7792 bytes of flash written avrdude: verifying flash memory against initialload.hex: avrdude: load data flash data from input file initialload.hex: avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: input file initialload.hex contains 7792 bytes avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.75s

avrdude: verifying ... avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000 0x0c != 0x00 avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done. Thank you.

make.exe: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1

Process Exit Code: 2 Time Taken: 00:04

January 26, 2011
by Linkster

So I dug deeper into some forum posts and read Mikes article on the servo squirter and serial port communication. I went in this direction thinking I have a problem with the USB cable. I tried the Hyper Terminal test to see if I am transmitting and receiving data. If I keep the RXD and the TXD tied together I get output to the HyperTerminal. If I break the connection it stops. I also used my Micronta logic probe to verify signals to the MCU while running a makefile. Everything looked good so far so I’m thinking I might have a problem with the Bootloader or perhaps fuses. If this is the case I might be at a lost or I’ll need some very good step by step procedures in how to set up and re-install the Bootloader. Might be easier to just buy a new MCU at this point. I’m open to suggestions at this point if anyone cares to chime in.

Thanks

Gary

January 26, 2011
by n3ueaEMTP

I recall having a similar problem that was resolved (at least I think it was, it was a while ago) by lowering the COM port number to something less than 4. I try to stick with COM3 if I can help it. I think you were using COM7. Take a look at this thread.

Hope this helps

Chris B.

January 27, 2011
by Linkster

Thanks for the reply Chris.
I read the posts and tried changing com ports and reinstalling drivers to see if that would help. I still get the same verification error. I tested USB voltage, 5.16v. Dewired the MCU to just include the LCD and program switch. Checked the crystal with a logic probe. I don't have a O-scope but it's driving a signal. I'm at a stand still at this point.
Still looking.
Gary

January 28, 2011
by Linkster

Still no luck trying to resolve the "verification error". The Hyperterminal test proved that the USB is transmitting and receiving. Com port was set to lower #3 port. Voltages are good, I tried battery and USB power. Dewired and rewired MCU a few times checking and double checking all connections. Looked thru the data sheet to see if i could find something in relation to the problem. Read thru just about every post I could find.
I would say at this point that I have a bad MCU. But I'm willing to give anything a try if anyone has any suggestions.
Thanks
Gary

January 28, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

I think you might be right that your MCU is no longer working, but I would like to rule out a damaged cable before we jump to that conclusion. Here is a test to see if you're programming cable is working correctly. Go to the Servo Squireter tutorial http://www.nerdkits.com/videos/servosquirter/, and go down to the Serial Communications section. Follow the directions to communicate with the NerdKit using Putty, but instead of connecting the yellow and green wires of the serial cable to the MCU connect them to the same empty row of the breadboard. Since the yellow and green, send and receive wires are hooked up together, everything you type on Putty should be echoed back to you on the screen. Try this with the yellow and green wires tied together, and without so you can see the difference.

Humberto

January 28, 2011
by Linkster

Humberto,
That was one of the first tests that I did. But, instead of putty I used Hyper Terminal. I had an echo with the yellow and green tied together and it stopped when I seperated the two. I have been using a self powerd USB hub but that was never an issue in the past. I even reinstalled the drivers for the USB and even tho it is thru the hub, it still lists itself as "prolific USB-to-serial comm port (com3)". The settings are - Bits per second=115200, Data Bits=8, Parity=none, Stop Bits=1, Flow control=none. I'll give connecting direct to the PC USB a try and see what happens. When I order a new MCU and perphaps an extra cable, is it possible to buy a 14.7465 crystal from you also? I hate to have to go to Jameco electronics for just a couple parts. I didn't see a crystal listed in the Nerd kit store but if you want to sell me one or two just let me know how much and I'll include it in the payment.
Thanks for the help,
Gary

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that two resistors plus a transistor can be used to make a better voltage supply? Learn more...