NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » COM port assignment with Vista

July 29, 2010
by sbrod

Just staring with the kit. Loaded the USB to Serial driver. Noted that I need to change the assigned COM port to COM5 or less due to a known bug in the driver. I can't seem to find a USB that registers as a COM port of 5 or less. All USBs that have easy access are in the teens - COM13, COM14, etc. Is there any easy way to address this? Thansk for any help/insight/suggestions.

July 29, 2010
by mongo

I had the same trouble with Windows 7. I found that the terminal program was the only way to find the right port. I put a link to it somewhere but I don't remember where... I'll hunt it down and post the link again.

July 29, 2010
by mongo

OK, The link has changed. Here is the new one

Terminal 1.9b

July 30, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi sbrod,

Have you tried using the COM port that was actually assigned to your cable by the computer. I'm just curious because they might have fixed the bug in newer versions.

Thanks mongo, for the link to the terminal program.

Humberto

July 31, 2010
by sbrod

Mongo - Thanks for the link. I'll give that a try and post my success (hopefully not failure). It'll be a while before I get to it though.

Humberto - Yep, I tried using the assigned port with no success. Actually moved the cable a few times and it always gets flagged as the reason for the error even though I change the code to the assigned port.

sbrod

July 31, 2010
by sbrod

Geez. All I had to do was dig deeper through the Device Manager as follows: Control Panel to Device Manager to USB-to-Serial (need kit connected to get this to present) to Properties to Port Settings to Advanced to COM Port #. Select the COM Port # and reassign to the a COM less than 5 (hopefully one is open). Then I was good to go and had connectivity. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

sbrod

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that reading a double floating point variable with scanf requires "%lf" for "long float"? Learn more...