NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » COM port

January 08, 2011
by jacobdrichards1

I am working through the first project and am attempting to compile the Makefile and having an issue I can't understand.

I have changed the “/dev/ttyUSB0” line to "COM 4" in Programmers Notepad as the instructions noted by what I was able to find in the device manager section.

When I attempt to compile the makefile I am getting the "avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device" error.

I went to look again at the device manager section and now I cannot find a port section to even locate a COM and was wondering what I need to do in order to bring it back and enter the correct COM number.

Thanks

January 09, 2011
by Rick_S

Make sure there is no space in your com port callout. "COM 4" should be COM4 assuming you are using Windows. If the device isn't showing in device manager, try unplugging the adapter then plugging it into another USB port with all the wires disconnected from your circuit. Make sure the wires do not touch each other as well. One other thing, when the device is connected to your circuit, if you have the current USB Cable, do not connect the red usb wire to the circuit while under battery power.

Rick

January 09, 2011
by jacobdrichards1

thanks Rick!

I hadn't read anywhere not to have the red wire attached while under battery power. Once I pulled that out of the breadboard it recognized the kit and started working!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can control multiple LEDs from one microcontroller output? Learn more...