NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Customer Testimonials » Programming Temp Sensor with Mac OS

December 25, 2010
by Sareena

Hey!

I just finished the hardware part of the project a few days ago, but I have been kind of stuck on programming side.

1. Page 40 of the PDF says to type "avr-gcc-select 4" in the terminal after I install the avr macpack. But I keep getting command line not found - or something like that.

2. Page 42 is kind of complicated...I don't know how to list all the files in the /dev directory (I've tried to search for the command online but can't seem to find anything. A website said to try 1s /dev, but I got an error

Help?

Thanks! Sareena

December 25, 2010
by Ralphxyz

That is ls not 1s as in ellone!

or something like what? Post a screen shot of your terminal window "command line not found" does not make any sense. Terminal is the command line!

"avr-gcc-select 4" sets gcc to use version 4 instead of version 3 that is the default.

You can search this forum for /dev to get a lot of interesting and helpful discussions about using your Mac with the Nerdkit (which works fine by the way).

Do ls /dev to find your usb port

Up towards the top of the listing it will look like this:

console         ptytf           ttyr6
cu.Bluetooth-Modem  ptyu0           ttyr7
cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync   ptyu1           ttyr8
cu.PL2303-0000101D  ptyu2           ttyr9
disk0           ptyu3           ttyra
disk0s1         ptyu4           ttyrb

You have to have the Nerdkit connected to the USB before it will show up.

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build a digital read out (DRO) for a lathe or milling machine? Learn more...