NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Please help! ( prepare for programing trouble)

November 14, 2010
by tdiggs

I am on currently on the first nerdkit project, and am using a Mac. Step 10b – Prepare for Programming says "Mac users need to check /dev for a device like /dev/cu.PL2303-0000211A Using the terminal, list the files in the /dev folder, you should see a file like cu.PL2303-0000211A the last 4 numbers will change depending on which port you plug it into. You need to open the Makefile in a text editor and edit the line that begins with AVRDUDEFLAGS. At the end you need to change “/dev/ttyUSB0” to “/dev/cu.PL2303-0000211A” or whatever you saw in the the /dev directory. "

When in terminal and when I type in /dev and then type in ls to list the files in the folder, a file like cu.PL2303-0000211A does not appear. Maybe i am doing it wrong, please help!

November 14, 2010
by Ralphxyz

You need to have your Nerdkit turned on/in programming mode when checking /dev.

Ralph

September 24, 2011
by konradwilkens

Hi, I am having the same problem!

my nerdkit is turned on and in programming mode.

all that comes up are these:

Desktop, Pictures, Documents, Public, Downloads, Send Registration, Library, Sites, Movies, initialload.ass, Music, webct_upload_applet.properties

September 25, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Hi, konradwilkens welcome!

Are you in Terminal??

You have to be using a command line app.

Ralph

September 25, 2011
by Aploosh

Try again after downloading the latest driver from Prolific's website:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO%20Cable/PL-2303/Drivers%20-%20Generic/MacOS/MacOS%2010.x/md_PL2303_MacOSX10.6_dmg_v1.4.0.zip

It should be listed as /dev/cu.usbserial

September 25, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi konradwilkens,

It seems that you are not quite in the right place on the command line. My suggestion is to first take a quick go through this library article http://www.nerdkits.com/library/command_line/ it will give you a bit of an intro into how/why we navigate through the command line. It is meant for Windows users, but I think you can get something out of it (on your machine you use ls to list the files in a directory instead of dir).

I think the immediate issue might be that you are not putting a space between your command and your destination

ls /dev

will list is all the files in your /dev directory.

Humberto

November 21, 2011
by bluestang

hevans.. Thanks for the advice I am a Noob and just picked up the kit and i was having issues finding my usb device as well every-time i plugged it in it kept asking me if i wanted to configure the network device. I can definitely see the usb cable now.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that two resistors plus a transistor can be used to make a better voltage supply? Learn more...