NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Problems executing the Makefiles

October 08, 2010
by Adrian

When executing a Makefile, the compiler states lots of variables as undefined, including "avr109", which I suppose is the programer type. Consequently, avrdude states: "no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file Specify a programmer using the -c option and try again".

This problem started since I replaced my computer. (now a Macbook pro) I don't think there's a connection, but I have mentioned it just in case.

Thanks.

October 09, 2010
by Ralphxyz

The Mac USB is really fussy, unplug your USB cabe and plug back in. If that does not do it pretend it is a Windows machine and reboot. I have a spst switch on the yellow wire that I have to switch every time I program. I believe it is caused by volage on the yellow wire even though it is not the power wire it still has like 2.5 volts and keeps the mcu in a zombie state. Windows and Linux apparently do not have this problem and not all Macs do. In fact it seems to come and go on my Mac mini OS X 10.6.4.

Ralph

October 09, 2010
by Adrian

I have already rebooted my mac several times. The problem is that the .c files aren't getting compiled.

October 09, 2010
by Adrian

Here is a screen shot of the problem.

October 09, 2010
by Ralphxyz

It looks like something is wrong with your make file.

Make sure you are using the original files (possible download them again) maybe that ./Makefile messed the makefile up.

Ralph

October 10, 2010
by Adrian

Good suggestion, but It doesn't seem to be that; as I have only touched the Makefiles to indicate the USB path. I did download the nerdkits source code again, (just in case I did).

Here is a screen shot of the Makefile.

Adrian

October 10, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Adrian,

Looks like part of AVRMacPack is not installed. Couple of things to try. First try installing the latest version (now called CrossPack) from their website, and make sure there are no errors with the installation process. Also remember to go to a command line and type "avr-gcc-select 4" to switch to the new compiler. I don't think that would cause this issue, but it would definitely have unintended consequences down the line. Let us know if you make progress with this issue.

Humberto

October 11, 2010
by Adrian

No Succes :(

It seems that some variable just wont be defined properly.

In the attempt of compiling the Makefile with CrossPack, this is what I got.

The installation of CrossPack went smoothly, with no evident errors.

Adrian

October 11, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Adrian,

I think the issue is that you are calling ./Makefile which is trying to execute Makefile like a shell script. You need to call the make program, which will find and read the Makefile in the current directory. Just navigate to the folder with the Code and type just make on the command line.

make

Humberto

October 12, 2010
by Adrian

Succes !!

This is by far the best costumer service I've ever experienced.

October 13, 2010
by Rick_S

You'll find that is one of the VERY BEST aspects of both Humberto and Mike. They consistantly go above and beyond to support their customers.

I'll admit I was reluctant to purchase a kit that "seemed" pricy for the hardware you got in it... However you can't put a price on the level of support they freely give.

Welcome aboard

Rick

October 13, 2010
by mcai8sh4

The support we get is exceptional! Even as the members number rises, the level of support still remains high!

Plus there are a lot of members who offer support as well, making this community one of (if not the) best I've encountered on the net.

Good luck with your future projects, enjoy

Steve

October 13, 2010
by Ralphxyz

The reason I purchased the Nerdkit was because of the community support.

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) can be used to control the speed of a motor digitally? Learn more...