NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Initial programming

September 03, 2010
by J13

I bought this kit for my son who is eight. We put it together with no problems. Now we are trying to load the initial programming but are not having any luck with command prompt. The usb cable seems to be woring. I see were it says not to have anything larger than com5 but it installed on com19. I don't know if this is the problem or not. The problem with the command prompt says that I am no using proper syntax. I know nothing about where to start and am looking for any help.

September 03, 2010
by Ralphxyz

I assume you are using windows. Just try com3, com4, and com5.

You might do a re-install of the driver. What exactly are you saying to get "I am no using proper syntax".

This has worked for thousands of us so just take your time we'll get you going.

My dad would have bought me a Nerdkit, lucky kid.

Ralph

September 03, 2010
by J13

Ralph, Thanks for the quick response. I am having trouble navigating to the proper folder to get the initial load. I am not very good with DOS.

Open up the command line and navigate to the folder with the code in it. 3. List the files in the directory and make sure there is a file called Makefile. 4. Type “make” and press enter to run the “make” command

Dave

September 04, 2010
by Ralphxyz

I use C:nerdkitscodeprojectfolder. Make sure your code folder has the libnerdkits folder and you should be good to go!

Keep us posted with your next question.

DOS really isn't that hard to get around in once you understand the path you are travelling.

Ralph

September 04, 2010
by J13

This is where the file is located. The code folder is there.

C:UsersDavid WilliamsDesktopCodelibnerdkits

Here is what I get in command prompt.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2415/cprompt.jpg

September 04, 2010
by Rick_S

When you go into the CMD program, you are already in your main folder. If you put the code folder on your desktop, just type

cd desktop\code\initialload\

then press enter.

Your prompt should change to reflect your path like mine did only with your name :D

Folder Pic

At that point, you should be able to type make and the program will build and transfer to your nerdkit.

Rick

September 04, 2010
by J13

Thanks, Rick that worked. Now on to the next problem. It doesn't see the usb parallel adapter. I'll have to work on that.

Dave

September 04, 2010
by Rick_S

What is the exact error you got, and what version of windows are you using.

September 04, 2010
by J13

Vista

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8302/errorup.jpg

September 04, 2010
by Rick_S

You have to edit the file called Makefile.

Locate the line that has the /dev/ttyUSB0 and change that to comx where x is the com port number assigned by windows.

Rick

September 04, 2010
by J13

Once again many thanks.
It worked great.

Dave

September 04, 2010
by Rick_S

Great and Congratulations! You can use the same principle in most all the projects.

Rick

September 04, 2010
by Ralphxyz

What version of windows are you using?

Just do a search for cmd.exe and run it.

I sure would like to see how you are getting "http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2415/cprompt.jpg" being returned, it sounds like you might be in a browser not in the command line. Are you in a black screen application like Rick's picture?

Ralph

September 04, 2010
by J13

Ralph Thanks for replying. Rick got us all straight and we have loaded all the programing and are installing the temperature sensor.

Dave

September 04, 2010
by Rick_S

Ralph, that was a link to the screenshot.

BTW, Dave, you can embed those in your post by using the directions below.

That was his screenshot.

Rick

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can control multiple LEDs from one microcontroller output? Learn more...