NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » program uploads to chip but fails to read on-chip flash data butterfly_recv(): programmer is not res

July 25, 2010
by gseviour

Hi, I'm having another go at my nerdkit (everything was wired up >= 6 months ago) The program uploads fine (i can edit the greeting in initialload.c and the changes show up on the LCD). I keep getting avrdude: reading on-chip flash data: Reading | ######################### | 50% 0.42savrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding

The amount that it manages to read varies each time, iv'e tried re-seating the data wires (they are naturally quite difficult to insert into the breadboard) and connecting a new battery.

Many thanks in advance, Gary

I ran make twice, first time it surprised me and didnt give the error: [root@myhost initialload]# make avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = "FDL v02"; type = S Software Version = 0.2; No Hardware Version given. Programmer supports auto addr increment. Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices: Device code: 0x35

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9406 avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed To disable this feature, specify the -D option. avrdude: erasing chip avrdude: reading input file "initialload.hex" avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: writing flash (7610 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 1.19s

avrdude: 7610 bytes of flash written avrdude: verifying flash memory against initialload.hex: avrdude: load data flash data from input file initialload.hex: avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: input file initialload.hex contains 7610 bytes avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.84s

avrdude: verifying ... avrdude: 7610 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

[root@myhost initialload]# make avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = "FDL v02"; type = S Software Version = 0.2; No Hardware Version given. Programmer supports auto addr increment. Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices: Device code: 0x35

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9406 avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed To disable this feature, specify the -D option. avrdude: erasing chip avrdude: reading input file "initialload.hex" avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: writing flash (7610 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 1.19s

avrdude: 7610 bytes of flash written avrdude: verifying flash memory against initialload.hex: avrdude: load data flash data from input file initialload.hex: avrdude: input file initialload.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: input file initialload.hex contains 7610 bytes avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ######################### | 50% 0.42savrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1 [root@myhost initialload]# ^C [root@myhost initialload]#

July 25, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi gseviour,

This error is usually pretty hard to debug as there any number of things that could be the problem. Did you mention your NerdKit used to work just fine, but it is not failing when you try to program? Or were you never able to program your NerdKit? Double check your battery to make sure it has a good clean 9V, and makes sure you have 5V across the power rails.

Out of curiosity, what operating system are you running this on? Have you tried a different computer to see if you have success there?

Humberto

July 25, 2010
by gseviour

Hi Humberto, Thank you very much for such a prompt response, especially on a Sunday. I tried programming the nerdkit on my other machine (the machine i had originally used for the nerdkit), and it works fine, it got the the "Thank you" message with no hesitation. All my machines run Arch linux. On the my current machine(the one with the problem), other USB peripherals seem to work OK. Maybe there is some subtle timing error? (just a guess on my part) even though there is an error, the program is still sent to the atmel chip.

Thanks again, Gary

August 01, 2010
by gseviour

I have been following the nerdkit guide and making progress. However, I would still like to figure out the problem of programming the nerdkit via USB. Has anyone else came across the problem I reported at any time?

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that two resistors can be used to make a voltage divider? Learn more...