NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » makefile error

July 22, 2010
by Quinnifir

ok the device manager says that the nerdkit is plugged into COM13 but when i try typing in make in the CMD (windows) it says this.

error

ive looked at the makefile 100 times and i cant figure out whats wrong.

thank you, from quinn

July 23, 2010
by mongo

Try reassigning your com to 5 or under. The text says com13 but the display shows com14. As I understand, the drivers don't like higher com assignments than com5.

July 23, 2010
by Quinnifir

how would you resign your com to 5 or under?

July 23, 2010
by Quinnifir

ok i resigned my com to com2, and it still dosent work.

July 23, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Quinnifir,

The error you are getting means that either you don't have permissions to open up the serial port, or you have entered the wrong serial port. If you are sure you have reassigned it to a number lower than 5, and have double checked on the device manager that you have the right COM port, then try opening up the command line as administrator. This can be a bit tricky on Vista (never tried it on Windows 7). I think if you use the start menu to search for the cmd program, then the command line launch icon comes up in the menu, you can then right click that and click open as administrator. Let us know if that gets it to work.

Humberto

July 23, 2010
by Quinnifir

wait nevermind. i fixed it!

July 23, 2010
by mongo

I haven't found a way in W7 yet but will keep trying. XP still used the same GUI as the older versions and gave a little control. W7 was written to expect everybody to be an idiot so it tries to keep control of things. (IMHO)

Glad you got it Q, I take it that you found that you need to change the com port in more than one place.

July 25, 2010
by Rick_S

Quinnifir,

What was the solution to your problem? That way if others with the same problem come across this, it may help the solve their issues as well. Plus, I don't thing I ever saw from you which version of windows you were using. I'm assuming 7 based on Humberto's remarks.

Rick

PS... Welcome to the community!

December 29, 2010
by gshroff

I'm getting the same exact error message (even when reassigning the com to 5 or under). I have W7 -- are there any solutions to this problem yet?

Thank you, Geeta

December 29, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Geeta,

Plenty of people have gotten their kit working on Windows 7. Which version of the driver are you using? Most people I believe had had the most success with this driver if the one linked to from the downloads section had issues.

It is definitely a good idea to try the port that your computer assigns to the device first before trying to change it. If you are getting the cannot find port error it might mean you don't have enough privilages to open it, you can try opening the command line as administrator to see if that does the trick.

Let us know what you find.

Humberto

December 30, 2010
by gshroff

Hi Humberto,

Thanks for the quick reply. I opened the command line on w7 today, running it as administrator, and it worked on w7.

Btw, I got the temperature sensor project working on a mac yesterday -- it was loads of fun!

Thanks again, Geeta

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that any circuit of voltage sources and resistors can be simplified to a "Thevenin" equivalent circuit? Learn more...