NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » First 3 letters of my LCD are blank..

July 05, 2010
by spacecase26

Hi, I have been having a great time with my nerdkit.. off the ground it was a little tough, but well worth the effort. Anyways.. the first three letters of the top line of my lcd are always blank. Is this a wire problem?

July 06, 2010
by Ralphxyz

I have seen this. I do not have a exact answer but I resolved it by playing around with the space and character counts between the "..." .

The LCD is very sensitive about the spaces and character counts.

I think it is "supposed" to be 25 character per line but that varies with upper case lower case.

Also the prior line will run into the next line messing things up.

Make sure to use lcd_line_one(); two(); three(); and four(); and also a lcd_init(); may help at the start.

Play around with it you'll get it to work.

Ralph

July 06, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi spacecase20,

Is this a problem you are seeing on the initial set up before you program the chip with your own program? Were you able to write to those spaces before, and now you can't?

Ralph is right that the spaces can cause strange looking errors because the lines wrap around on themselves, so if you write off the edge off the first line you end up writing on the the third line. Try a quick experiment where you only write a few letters to line 1, see if they show up.

Let us know what you find.

Humberto

July 06, 2010
by spacecase26

Thanks for the replies! After testing it out some more I have the letters working again. I think my spacing was the problem.

It's working now, thanks again!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a motor's no-load current at a given voltage is much less than it's resistance would suggest? Learn more...