NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Step 10b Prepare for programming problem

June 19, 2010
by Ham

Using Windows Vista, but can't see "Ports" section in Device Manager - what do I need to do to see them, so we can adjust the Makefile to the proper COM? Thanks, Ham

June 19, 2010
by mongo

Well... The simplest method it changing all of the port references throughout and try each port between 1 and 5. If you are lucky, you'll find it.

The other way is to run a terminal emulator that is capable of displaying your settings and ports. I have a generic one that I use and it works fine. I think there is a version of HyperTerm that works on W7 too but I haven't actually looked for it.

I think I found the one I use on Nerdful' web site, www.nerdful.com

June 19, 2010
by mongo

here is a direct download site...

Terminal 1.9b

Download and extract the .ZIP file and install. Easy and free to use.

June 19, 2010
by Ham

Thanks - found the com, but now getting error message:

"avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device? make: ***[initialload-upload] Error 1"

What are they talking about? Thanks again.

June 19, 2010
by Ham

Never mind - got into programming mode w/the right Com port and ran initialload! Thanks for the help!

August 30, 2010
by FrozenBobo

Hey, I was running into the same issue, and have the error message from avrdude that he got, but I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas?

August 30, 2010
by FrozenBobo

Ugh, that was stupid... my battery was not attached, because I didn't want to drain it while installing software. In any case, problem solved.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build a giant scrolling LED array with our microcontroller kit? Learn more...