NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Running the 2nd clock

June 06, 2010
by carlhako

Hi

I have put together a simple temp sensor that uses the first clock @ 900hz to multiplex 3 7seg displays.

I want to run a 2nd clock to keep rough time. This will allow me to work out some averages, 24hr, 12hr etc.

Does anybody have some sample code that runs a 2nd clock, or could point in the right direction. Ive tried working it out using the data sheet its still a little over my head.

Thanks

Carl

June 06, 2010
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Carl,

The ATmega168 and ATmega328P have three timer/counter modules, named Timer/Counter 0, 1, and 2. Our Crystal Real Time Clock video shows the use of Timer/Counter 0, but this can be modified for one of the other timers if you wish. Watch that video before you try to move it to a different timer.

For example, to modify it to run on Timer/Counter #2, you would have to make these changes:

1) Change the name of the interrupt handler from SIGNAL(SIG_OUTPUT_COMPARE0A) to the new notation ISR(TIMER2_COMPA_vect).

2) Change all of the register names and settings in the realtimeclock_setup function. Maybe something like:

// set mode CTC, with max as OCR2A
TCCR2A |= (1<<WGM21);
// set prescale CLK/1024
TCCR2B |= (1<<CS22) | (1<<CS21) | (1<<CS20);
// count 144 times (0 to 143)
OCR2A = 143;
// enable interrupt on compare match
TIMSK2 |= (1<<OCIE2A);

The only thing that really changed from Timer/Counter0 is that different bits were required to set the clock prescaler to CLK/1024.

Hope that helps!

Mike

June 07, 2010
by carlhako

Thanks Mike :)

Exactly what I was after. I have not tried it yet, I'm currently soldering it all together onto a project board. That code looks like it will pretty much work if I copy and paste it.

Thanks again!

Carl

June 14, 2010
by banerjen

From where do I get to know about all the names of the different interrupt handlers?

Nandan.

June 14, 2010
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Nandan,

Take a look at this table. However, you still have to match this to the microcontroller datasheet in order to figure out which is which!

Mike

June 14, 2010
by banerjen

Thanks a lot.

Nandan.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that our customers love us? Learn more...