NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » USB Programming cable not recognized by Computer

May 14, 2010
by n3ueaEMTP

Greetings all. I recently re-formatted my hard drive due to a virus. Since the re-format, my USB programming cable isn't being recognized by my computer. I can still use it to provide power to the breadboard. Since the re-format I have returned to the old style programmer that came with my original NerdKit (I think it's the only part I have that is the original).

Is there a way that I can test the new programmer? I have reinstalled all of the software from the NerdKits CD including drivers. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

n3ueaEMTP

May 15, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi n3ueaEMTP,

When you say it isn't recognized by the computer what exactly do you mean? Does it not shop up in the device manager at all? Is there any indication from windows that it sees something is plugged in or does it just react at all?

Humberto

May 16, 2010
by n3ueaEMTP

Humberto, There is no reaction from the computer whatsoever. It's like I plugged in a regular USB cable that was not connected to any device. Usually there is a chime to confirm a device is connected but not with the programmer. It also doesn't show up in the device manager. I've tried all the available USB ports in case it was the port, no luck.

On a side note, I had soldered a 5 pin DIN connector to the end to make programming easy & thought that might have been the problem if I had soldered two of the wire together creating a short but like I had said, it still provided power to the breadboard. As a precaution, I removed that plug but that didn't help :(.

Thanks

Chris

May 16, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi n3uaEMTP,

If windows does not react to the cable at all then most likely you managed to fry your cable somehow. It is possible to try it if you accidentally short the power cables. Have you tried plugging other USB Devices into your computer and see if it recognizes those? Maybe your USB drivers did not come back correctly after the reinstall. Have you tried the cable on a different computer?

Humberto

May 16, 2010
by n3ueaEMTP

Humberto, All other USB devices work fine on the computer. I have not tried it on another machine. It's likely that I fried it :( I'll just get another one next time I order supplies from the store. Thanks for all your help.

Chris

May 17, 2010
by treymd

1 thing to note, make sure no wires of the cable are touching each other. Computers will shut a port down if they sense a short.

Also, if it does turn out that you fried your cable Nerdkits is the best place for them (i've looked) unless you build your own.

May 17, 2010
by n3ueaEMTP

Thanks for the reply treymd. I confident that I fried the cable as the USB port works fine with every other device I've connected. Even when the programmer is connected, I can still use it to supply power to the breadboard.

May 30, 2010
by SH1N1CH1

Hi, I need help with nerdkits. I can't get both of my computer: desktop (windows XP) and laptop (windows 7 64 bit) to recognize the nerdkits USB port. I have installed PL-2303 driver by clicking PL-2303 driver installer on my desktop and PL-2303 Vista driver but the computers still couldn't recognize the USB port. It says unknown USB port. There are 2 other folders besides those driver installer files that comes with it: Win2K_XP folder and Win98_ME. What those two folders do? I'm currently trying to run the nerdkits in temperature sensor mode. What else that I have to do to complete the project? Thank you so much for the help.

May 30, 2010
by mongo

Check your ports. Go into you system manager and check which ports are assigned to the USB adapter. Then go to your programs and make sure the com numbers are the same. I have two different USB adapters here and I have to reconfigure the programs to see them, either com4 or com5. Yours may be entirely different but do try to keep it com5 or lower.

May 31, 2010
by SH1N1CH1

Thx for replying. The USB has been showing up on port number less than 5 but it still didn't work, not sure by com# means. How do I know if the USB cable is still working properly or if I wired properly? Could it be if I wired incorrectly, the computer can't recognize it? The hot and ground wires work properly because the LCD is on when it is plugged into the computer. Could it be there is a defect on the USB cable product? Or is it just the matter of the driver problem. How do you select the driver for the USB connection. When I opened the device manager and followed all the steps the computer still can't locate the appropriate driver the USB. Thx so much for the help. Maybe staff of nerdkits can help me, please?

May 31, 2010
by mongo

The com# would be anywhere from com1 to com5. If the driver is installed, it should recognize the adapter as soon as it is plugged in. Since W7 has some funny changes, it's hard to find the port. I use a terminal program that shows all available ports and lets me select from them.

May 31, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi SH1N1CH1,

The fact that the Prolific USB-Ser adapter shows up in the device manager and is given a COM number means it is detected by the computer and is installed. What exactly leads you to believe there is a problem, does windows popup a bubble saying it does not recognize the cable?

If you wired your NerdKit the way we instruct in the kit (using the battery) your LCD should not turn on when you plug the USB Port into your computer. Perhaps there is something incorrectly wired in your setup that is the root cause of this problem.

If you post a screenshot of the error you are getting on your computer, as well as a good close up picture of your set up we might be able to see what is wrong. Let us know!

Humberto

June 02, 2010
by SH1N1CH1

Dear Humberto,the USB doesn't show up on ports(COM & LPT) on my laptop (Win7 64 bit) and desktop (WinXP). I have installed PL2303 driver on my desktop and PL2303 vista driver on my laptop. It does show up on the universal serial bus controllers on both computers as Unknown Device. Please let me ASAP thx since this project is due in less than a week.

June 02, 2010
by mongo

That is something I also noticed with Windows 7. The device manager does not break down the ports like XP and previous versions. I strongly suggest installing a terminal program that can identify the com ports.

July 15, 2010
by tazzdogman

New beginner kind of I downloaded the driver from nerdkit download I am running Xp and the USB port is not being reginized (spelling) is not great you will need to fill in the blanks when I plug in USB the LCD comes on and my pc states drive not recognized I have downloaded the drivers and tried to run them I am using winxp98 it should be easy but not working I went to control panel then system and device manager then to Serial USB and found the unknown port and tried to manually update the driver but it still says not working I have sent a picture to support but have not received anything back yet. so far I have not got anything to work yet the only thing I get it two blank bars on the LCD I have replaced all weirs three time and feel they are all in the right place I have had the hole class look at it and we are not able to get it going yet I think I might have flashed the chip so there is nothing on it right now so I am moving on trying to program it to see if that is the case.I have read most of you great info but did not come accross this yet. thanks Tazzdogman

July 15, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Tazzdogman,

Were you ever able to get the initial congratulations message to appear on the LCD screen, or did you just straight to attempting to program?

When attempting to install the driver for windows XP, are you getting any sort of error as it is installing. If you are on a school computer is likely you require administrator privileges to install the driver. If you can, post some pictures of your entire setup, the black lines are most likely being caused by a loose or missplaced wire.

Humberto

August 03, 2010
by tazzdogman

hevans (NerdKits Staff Yes I finally did get the congratulations message to appear on the LCD screen,but only after O bought a different MCU chip I switch to the 328 now I have replaced to the new chip but still can not get to the point I can start to downing load and up loading I pick up the LCD array kit and put it to gather I am just going back over all the nerd kit instruction to see if I missed some thing not shore what to do next? thanks for the interest Tazzdogman

August 03, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi tazzdogman,

If you can, please upload some good close up pictures of your setup. It will help us to make sure that your wiring is correct and we can isolate the problem.

Are you still having the problem where your computer just does not recognize the USB cable? Are you able to see the prolific USB-Ser adapter in the Device Manager at all?

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can make a capacitive proximity sensor with some aluminum foil and paperclips? Learn more...