NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Test program/lights work but no messages

May 11, 2010
by azantel

When i run the test program all the lights seem to work properly. When i try to display messages it just shows random rows/lights (no letters or messages). I have yet to connect the LCD micro-controller. my classmates say we don't need it, is this true? could it just be a code error? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

May 11, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi azantel,

I'm not really sure what you mean by random rows/lights. Are you talking about the LED Array? Were you able to put together the USB NerdKit first by following the NerdKits Guide?

Humberto

May 11, 2010
by azantel

When i run the initialload.c program the LED array doesnt diplay the message thats in the .c file. I'm assuming its a code error or do i need to connect the LED micro-controller that came with the kit?

May 11, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi azantel,

The LED Array, and the LCD are two completely different things. You should think of the LED Array more as a project on its own (an advanced one at that).

The LCD is relatively is to hook up and an easy way to get some output flowing out of your microcontroller quickly when you are getting started. I suggest putting the LED Array side for the moment and focus on the projects in the NerdKits Guide. Get familiar with the atmega168 and the types of things it can do. I think after that the LED Array will start to make alot more sense.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that an electroluminescent backlight for an LCD panel requires hundreds of volts AC to run? Learn more...