NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Cant load the first program

April 19, 2010
by trapperj86

Hi, I just got my nerdkits and I set it up. I am a first year biomedical student and have not done any programming yet, so i am not sure what I am doing wrong. The kit is up and running. I downloaded all the programs from the website and when I go to open the first program initialload.c into the programming notepad I get an error that says " error loading "C:/Matt/desktop/code/initialload.c":/user/matt/desktop/code/initialload.c": not an executable format; file format not recognized. I'm using a windows 7 computer. Thanks for the help

April 19, 2010
by trapperj86

Update: I figured that out, now i am having trouble loading the program. I changed the Makefile in the initialload to the COM4 where the usb is. I changed it in the programming notepad and saved it to my desktop and when i open the comand prompt and type make it says" make*** no targets specified and no makefile found".

April 20, 2010
by mcai8sh4

Hi trapperj86 - Just a thought, but your makefile should be in the same directory (folder) as the code you want to compile/upload. So make sure you're makefile is in 'C:/Matt/desktop/code/' and the targets in the makefile point to inilialload.c

If you have already done this, then just double check your makefile and try again.

If you continue to have problems, shout out, someone here will certainly sort out your problem.

Have fun,

Steve

April 20, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi trapperj86,

That error means you are not in the correct folder on the command line when you are calling the 'make' command. You need to 'cd' your way into the initialload folder before you run the make command. Let us know if you are having trouble with the command line.

Humberto

April 20, 2010
by trapperj86

Thanks alot guys after playing with it for a little bit last night i got. I was opening the command from my desktop not the folder, that was my problem.I got it all working now. Thanks alot

June 07, 2010
by larrydw

Is there anyone familiar with Win.7. The program is in my documents library. This is my first attempt at this sort of thing and I am getting frustrated trying to compile it. Even though I can bring it up on the screen I cannot get the proper command sequence to find and compile it. Any help would be appreciated.

June 07, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Larry,

In windows 7 the Documents Library is the same as the Documents folder that is inside your users directory. If you fire up your command line (type cmd and press enter on the search for programs bar in the start menu) your command line will be in the users home folder. If you type dir to list the directories you will see a list of your "Library" folders, one if of which is Documents. Type cd Documents to change directory into the Documents folder. Once there you can type dir to list the documents in that folder. You should be able to cd Code if your Code folder is there and continue on with the guide. Let us know if something doesn't make sense, or if you are still stuck.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can control multiple LEDs from one microcontroller output? Learn more...