NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » USB Kit First Project problem

March 31, 2010
by AWhitcomb

I just got my kit and have been connecting wires for the first project. When I connect my battery all I get is a rhythmic flashing across the entire LCD. Some times the first and third rows stay solid for a moment before the flashing begins. I have rechecked that all wires are going where they should be going. Where should I be looking for my problem?

March 31, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi AWhitcomb,

This is certainly a strange issue. My bet is on a misplaced wire somewhere. Possibly in the LCD wiring, or maybe in the power connections. If you can, please post up some good close up pictures of your setup, perhaps someone here can spot something.

If nothing in the wiring is wrong, you could try continuing with on to programming the chip. While it is rare, sometimes the program we preload gets corrupted in transit. If that is the case it possible the bootloader is fine and you will be able to flash a new program on just fine.

Do post those pictures up if you can, I think that is the likeliest cause of the problem.

Humberto

December 12, 2010
by propjet

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem, and I think my wiring is correct.

December 12, 2010
by propjet

FYI I figured out my problem, I had mistaken pin 16 on the lcd as pin 14. Once I moved the wires over two pins everything worked! Hope this helps someone else with the problem.

December 13, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi propjet,

Glad you figured out the issue. Let us know if you run into any other problems.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that reading a double floating point variable with scanf requires "%lf" for "long float"? Learn more...