NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » [PROJECT] [C/C++] [WINAVR] Temperature Sensor Extended

March 14, 2010
by Shanytc

Ever since I received the NerdKits week+ ago, I've tinkering with it and learning (and asking in the forums), and I finally complete my extended version of the Temperature project.

The temperature project is the first project we build with the help of the PDF file (from the downloads section) and I decided to extend it so that Newbies like (in Electronics or maybe in coding) me could have a chance to understand new stuff that are not presented in the original project.

The extended project includes:

1. Connecting multiple LEDs
  2. LEDs animation
  3. Example of PROGMEM variables (array) and it's use in the main void()
  4. Interfacing with the serial port data (Input/Output)
  5. External application that interfaces with the MCU via Serial Port and sends commands to the MCU and receive data from the MCU
  6. LEDs are on/off depends on Temperature (no need to watch the screen to know the temp)

Extended Project Description:

In the original project, newcomers have created the temperature sensor and compiled their first MCU flash program. In this extended project, we can modify and calibrate our temperature data received from the sensor and adjust the LEDs to light according.

Also in this project, newcomers will finally see how an external application (Win/Console) can interface with the Serial Port and actually change the data on the MCU and receive information right into their application.

Notes:

1. C/C++ application was built under Visual Studio, so if you are using other compiler to create your console application, please adjust the code accordingly.
  2. MCU Temperature was based off the original NerdKits temperature project.
  3. The MCU generated flash code is 11kb and is 2-3k under the limit of (16kb), so when you add code and flash it, and suddenly get an error stating 'write block failed' this means you've reached the end of the flash program's limits in bytes.

Download Extended Project

Temperature Sensor Extended

Enjoy,

-Shany

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can connect to certain car computers via the OBD-II port with a microcontroller? Learn more...