NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Found part, but don't know if I can use it

March 01, 2010
by Solorbob

I had an old 1990's VCR that died. I decided to see what parts I could get from it before I tossed it. I ended up with at least 15 buttons, some switches, and etc. I found what looks to be like some type of crystal oscillator, but I can't seem to find any specs for it. It is marked "DS-MAT-419"

I found one website that has the part number, but it is in Spanish. I'm guessing it says

Here is the part

Here's the web site's address.
http://www.digivideo.biz/it/elettronica/ricambi/mg_semicon.htm

Here's what the web site says about it.

"QUARZO DS-MAT-419 CLK per VIDEO NB: Prezzo in offerta valido per le quantità giacenti, prodotto disponibile fino ad esaurimento scorte, non più riordinabile"

Could this be useful, or should I trash it?

Thanks, Shawn

March 01, 2010
by bretm

Useful! That's Italian, by the way. I'm going to guess that this is a generic 4.194304 MHz timing crystal. Just like they use 32.768 kHz crystals for clocks because 32768 is a power of 2 and easily divided down by microcontrollers to an accurate 1Hz signal, 4.194304 MHz is even more so. It's 2 to the power of 22, instead of 2 to the power of 15.

March 02, 2010
by Solorbob

Thanks. I'll save it then.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that talking to the microcontroller over the USB/Serial link is easy under Windows, Linux, and OS X? Learn more...