NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Communication with computer.

March 01, 2010
by Hexorg

Good %timestamp% :) Recently I watched your tutorial about digital calipers, and I realized that you can virtually "tap" into any digital device, and, since we have a PC data cable, even send that data to PC!

In my first electronics lab, we've build a digital multimeter, and I was thinking to try and write a program for PC, and for the nerdkit, that would display measurements on the screen.

So is it a good idea, or not? Is it cheaper just to buy a ready PC-based-multimeter? And What software calculations would be good to program in?

March 01, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Hexorg,

That sounds like a great idea! You can certainly buy a PC based multimeter (and it might even be cheaper), but in my book building something yourself is always more exciting than buying something. I think others in the NerdKits community will agree.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can make a spooky Halloween Jack-O-Lantern with a microcontroller? Learn more...